All listings for this product
Best Selling in Camcorders
Save on Camcorders
- $322.00Trending at $369.99
- $4,549.00Trending at $5,483.50
- $1,199.95Trending at $1,399.00
- $2,199.99Trending at $2,258.99
- $99.99Trending at $123.95
- $1,579.99Trending at $2,151.00
- $1,598.00Trending at $1,698.00
About this product
Expanded Product Features
- Expanded Product FeaturesThe Canon VIXIA HV40 camcorder provides an array of exclusive features you won't find in every HD video recorder. These include Canon's 2.96 full HD CMOS image sensor, as well as an advanced DIGIC DV II image processor, that provide incredible detail and color reproduction, giving you the cleanest shots possible. The HV40 also boasts SuperRange optical image stabilization and instant auto focus. Other features include the Canon 10x HD video zoom lens and the option to transition between SD and HD recording modes. Attain professional level quality with a host of electronic helpers with the power of the Canon VIXIA HV40.
- Family LineCanon VIXIA
- Recording SystemNTSC
- Optical Zoom10x
- Digital Zoom200X
- Storage TypeRemovable (Card/Disc/Tape)
- Media FormatDV
- Resolution3.0 MP
- Screen Size2.7"
- Weight18.09 Oz.
- Sensor TypeCMOS
- Sensor Size1/2.7"
- Optical Sensor Qty1
- Lens TypeZoom lens
- Focal Length Range6.1mm - 61mm
- Focus AdjustmentAutomatic
- Lens Filter Size43 mm
- Lens System FeaturesAspherical Lens,Built-in lens shield
- Auto Focus typeTTL contrast detection
- Max Shutter Speed1/2000 sec
- Min Illumination0.2 lux
- Min Shutter Speed1/2 sec
- Exposure MeteringCenter-Weighted,Evaluative,Spot
- Exposure ModesAperture-Priority,Automatic,Manual,Program,Shutter-Priority
- Flash TypeBuilt-in flash
- Flash ModesAuto Mode,Fill-in Mode,OFF mode,Red-eye Reduction,Slow Synchro
Memory / Storage
- Recording SpeedLP
- Supported Flash MemorySD Memory Card,SDHC Memory Card,miniSD Card
- Viewfinder TypeLCD
- Viewfinder Diagonal Size0.27"
- Depth5.4 in.
- Height3.2 in.
- Width3.5 in.
- Display TypeLCD
- Display RotationRotating
- Screen DetailsLCD display - TFT active matrix - 2.7" - color
- Display Size2.7"
- Microphone TypeMicrophone - built-in - stereo
- Microphone Operation ModeStereo
- Connector Types1 x HDMI,1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK),1 x USB,1 x component video output,1 x composite video/audio output,1 x headphones,1 x microphone
- HDMI OutputYes
- Expansion Slot1 x miniSD
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System SupportedApple Mac OS X 10.2 - 10.4,MS Windows 2000 SP4,MS Windows 98 SE,MS Windows ME,MS Windows XP SP2
- Battery Form FactorManufacturer specific
- Battery ManufacturerCanon BP-2L13
- Effective Still Resolution2.8 MP
- Effective Video Resolution2.1 MP
- Digital Video FormatMPEG-2
- Still Image FormatJPEG
- Additional Features24p Cinema Mode,25p Cinema Mode,Auto Power Save,Brightness Control,Color Viewfinder,Direct Print,Histogram Display,Still Shot Capability
- High Definition Video Support1080p
- Widescreen Video CaptureYes
- Night ModeYes
- Shooting ModesDigital Photo Mode
Most relevant reviews
- hatfieldtrading...Jul 04, 2014by
The Canon Vixia HV-40 is an amazing camcorder for the buck.
I'm delighted with the HV-40. The tape technology is a little harder to deal with than the flash/SD. However it's an amazing, versatile camcorder, with lots of options for lens accessories, and a dizzying array of menu options. The bottom line is: for not very much money, you can make gorgeous, hi-def movies. Learning curve is formidable, but every time I use this great little camcorder, I learn something new. v/r, Kris
- indianaguitaram...Feb 06, 2013by
best camcorder for the price even in 2013
best deal I have had on ebay. I like the vixia h40 so much that I bought it ued on ebay as a temporary fix. I bught a brand new canon vixia hf-m500 and yet find myself using the vixia h40 over and over again. It just looks great!! It even outdoes the hf-m500 for the most part, just simple excellent video every time!! no wierdness, good battery life, good resolution and all but the highest res (cant do 1080p), but HD is great for you tube and dvd's. I guess if your making a blue ray perhaps then the hf-m500 is better. the lens of hv40 is just top notch. just no complaints
- djlilceaseSep 04, 2012by
Great quality, easy to use, compact, great for traveling.
It's a great affordable pease of recording equipment, it's my 2nd camcorder. (I have both HV30 & 40) they'er easy to use light wt. and compact able to pack and record without carrying hevy camcorders.
- french.quarterApr 19, 2016by
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- tedchoi908Sep 04, 2012by
good for tape HD recording but memory card is for only picture
good quality of HD, battery life is ok, ease to use, good for tape recording. Memory card is for only still image.