This helps protect intellectual property right owners, and prevents the illegal sale of unauthorized copies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I sell recordable media on eBay?
If you're the copyright owner, or an authorized licensee, yes. Sellers who list any type of product on recordable media on eBay have to make it clear in the listing and product that they own the copyright or a license to resell the item – and they'll need to be able to prove this to eBay if requested.
Are bootleg recordings of concerts allowed on eBay?
No. Bootleg recordings of concerts are not allowed on eBay.
Read our full policy
Recordable media policy overview
Only copyright owners or persons authorized to sell the product by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law are permitted to list their products copied onto recordable media (includes items such as VHS tapes, audio tapes, CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, flash drives, and any other recordable media type) on eBay. When you list any type of recordable media, you must state your copyright ownership or license to resell these items in your listings.
Make sure your listings and products follow these guidelines. If they don't, they may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?Allowed
- Media where the seller is the copyright owner or authorized to sell the item by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. The listing and product must clearly state that the seller is authorized to sell the item. For example, a band releasing its latest album on CD-R can list the album on eBay as long as they follow our guidelines
The following are examples of items that aren't allowed on eBay:
- Compilations of multiple e-books or audio books on one DVD-R or other recordable media
- Music compilations on CD-R
- The entire first season of a television series copied on one DVD-R
- Compilation of multiple "freeware" and "shareware" programs on one CD-R
- A VHS copy of a movie taped off of television
- CD-Rs containing scanned pages from a book, magazine, manual, or other copyrighted written materials that weren't written by the seller
- Bootleg recordings (unauthorized recording of concerts or live performances) See our bootleg recordings policy
- If you buy an album or recording on eBay that was released by a local band on CD-R, you're not allowed to list the album on eBay even though the band released the album on CD-R, because you're not the copyright owner
For more information, see any of the following sources:
- U.S. Copyright Office - opens in new window or tab
- United States Patent and Trade Office
- The Copyright Society of the USA
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (PDF) - opens in new window or tab
Visit Seller Help to find details of any policy issues with your account or listings, and get the information you need to quickly resolve them.
Why does eBay have this policy?
Since the sale of unauthorized copyright items is illegal, we don't allow those items on eBay. This policy helps protect buyers from purchasing illegal merchandise and helps intellectual property rights owners protect their rights.