To ensure the safety and well-being of our members, eBay does not allow listings for items that are banned, recalled, or dangerous to a buyer.
What is the policy?
The following types of items are not allowed:
- Products recalled by a manufacturer or government agency
- Products where the sale of the product is prohibited by law or regulation
- Products that pose a health or safety hazard as specified by any government agency
- Current information can be found on the US Consumer Product Safety Commission website - opens in new window or tab, the EU Safety Gate: Rapid Alert System website - opens in new window or tab and the OECD Global Recalls portal - opens in new window or tab
Sellers can list the following types of items:
- Items subject to a recall but not prohibited by law, as long as the listing includes the recall information
- Items complying with these safety standards:
- Cribs meeting federal safety standards issued by the CPSC in 2011. Sellers must state in the listing that the crib meets these standards. Used cribs are not allowed
- Child car safety seats meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 213. Sellers must state in the listing that the car seat meets this standard. Used car seats are not allowed
- New bike helmets. Used bike helmets are not allowed
- Hoverboards, self-balancing scooters, and components or parts such as batteries and chargers certified to meet UL 2272 safety standards. The listing must state that the item is UL 2272 certified, include a link to the UL Online Certifications Directory showing the certification, and only offer shipping to the US, Canada, and Australia
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Visit Seller Help to find details of any policy issues with your account or listings, and get the information you need to quickly resolve them.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps sellers follow important government regulations.
- Product Safety Guidelines for Sellers - opens in new window or tab
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website - opens in new window or tab
- US recall information website - opens in new window or tab
- Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act - opens in new window or tab
- OECD Global Recalls portal - opens in new window or tab
- You can sign up to receive email notices about item recalls - opens in new window or tab
- US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) - opens in new window or tab
- UL 2272 safety standards - opens in new window or tab