To ensure the safety and well-being of our members, eBay does not allow listings for items that are banned, recalled, or dangerous to a buyer.
What is the policy?
The following types of items are not allowed:
- Products recalled by a manufacturer or government agency
- Products where the sale of the product is prohibited by law or regulation
- Products that pose a health or safety hazard as specified by any government agency
- Products without a UKCA marking - opens in new window or tab or CE marking - opens in new window or tab where it is legally required
- Crib bumpers and infant inclined sleepers. See the Safe Sleep for Babies Act for more information
Current information about recalled products and products that pose health or safety hazards can be found on the following websites:
- US Consumer Product and Safety Commission (CPSC)
- US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Requirements for Importers and Exporters - opens in new window or tab
- EU Product Safety Authorities
- EU Commission (Safety gate/Rapex)
- UK Office of Product Safety & Standards (OPSS)
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)
Please review and follow all applicable laws and regulations for the countries where you ship. To protect buyers and sellers, we will remove any item that is reported to us as recalled or otherwise unsafe from any of the regulatory authorities worldwide.
Certain items can be listed only if they follow specific regulations. The following types of items must comply with these safety standards:
- Toy magnets with small pieces that can be swallowed or that may appeal to children are not allowed. Small magnets must be listed only as fasteners and listed in the Business & Industrial > Fasteners & Hardware > Magnets category
- Laser pointers must have an output of 5mW or less and be a class 1M, 1C, 2/II, 2M/IIM, or 3A/IIIA, 3B/IIIB or 3R/IIIR. Military, tactical or “high powered” lasers are not allowed
- Smoke or carbon monoxide detectors must be from one of the approved brands. Unbranded and unsafe brands of smoke or carbon monoxide detectors are not allowed
- 18650 batteries cannot be listed individually, as they are not intended for sale to consumers and can be potentially hazardous to consumers when handled, transported, stored or charged. 18650 batteries must be pre-installed
- Products where the button battery is easily accessible are considered unsafe. Button batteries are easily swallowed and can cause health issues or death
- Eligible sellers can list cribs. All cribs must meet federal safety standards issued by the CPSC in 2011. Sellers must state in the listing that the crib meets these standards. Used cribs are not allowed
- Eligible sellers can list child car safety seats. All car seats must meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 213. Sellers must state in the listing that the car seat meets this standard. Used car seats are not allowed
- Eligible sellers can list new bike helmets. Used bike helmets are not allowed
- Hoverboards, self-balancing scooters, electric skateboards, electric roller skates, electric pocket bikes, electric kick scooters, electric unicycles and other personal e-mobility devices typically intended for use by one person must be certified to meet UL 2272 safety standards, including all batteries and chargers. The listing must state that the item is UL 2272 certified and, upon request, provide appropriate verification, such as including a link to the UL Product iQ - opens in new window or tab document showing the certification
- E-bikes must be certified to meet UL 2849 safety standards, including all batteries and chargers. The listing must state that the item is UL 2849 certified and, upon request, provide appropriate verification, such as including a link to the UL Product iQ - opens in new window or tab document showing the certification
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps sellers follow important government regulations.
- Product Safety Guidelines for Sellers - opens in new window or tab
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website - opens in new window or tab
- US recall information website - opens in new window or tab
- Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act - opens in new window or tab
- OECD Global Recalls portal - opens in new window or tab
- You can sign up to receive email notices about item recalls - opens in new window or tab
- US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) - opens in new window or tab
- UL 2272 and the Safety of Personal E-Mobility Devices - opens in new window or tab
- E-Bikes Certification: Testing to UL 2849 - opens in new window or tab
- Safety Gate: Rapid Alert System - opens in new window or tab
- Using the CE marking - opens in new window or tab
- Using the UKCA marking - opens in new window or tab
- Using the UKNI marking - opens in new window or tab
Visit Seller Help - opens in new window or tab to find details of any policy issues with your account or listings, and get the information you need to quickly resolve them.