This policy helps to ensure a safe marketplace for our members.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I sell any kind of contact information?
You can sell a business phone number (if it's not a toll-free number) as part of the sale of an overall business.
Can I include a customer list if I sell my business?
As long as your business is eligible for sale on eBay, and you're selling 100% of the company (not just part of it), you can include a customer list.
Read our business policies for more details.
Can I sell my Facebook friends and Instagram followers to someone with a business like mine?
No, you can't sell social networking accounts, likes, followers, subscribers, or similar, on eBay. You also can't sell items associated with social networking accounts that could result in spam or exchange or personal information.
Read our full policy
Mailing lists and personal information policy overview
eBay doesn't allow the sale of names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, or other personal information, such as social security numbers or contact information.
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?
With a few exceptions, mailing lists and similar types of bulk information aren't allowed on eBay.Restricted
- Telephone numbers are allowed as part of the sale of a legitimate business, but only if:
- The phone number is not a toll-free number
- Your listing makes it clear that the phone number is being sold as part of the sale of the business
- Bulk email lists, including:
- Opt-in lists
- Information on how to obtain bulk email lists
- Corporate email lists
- Private email lists
- Ezines with opt-in bulk email lists
- Instant messenger (IM) information
- Internet protocol (IP) information
- Leads that may provide possible sales information
- Mailing lists
- Social networking items, including but not limited to:
- Social networking profiles or accounts
- Invitations to networking sites that aren't yet open to the public
- Social networking "likes," "followers," "subscribers," or similar items
- Any items associated with social networking accounts that result in or encourage spam or the exchange of personal information
- Software or tools designed to send unsolicited email (spam) or harvest email addresses
- Software, tools, or services designed to send unsolicited texts or instant messages
Why does eBay have this policy?
eBay is always looking for ways to improve the buying and selling experience. As part of this effort, we don't allow the sale of mailing lists, website traffic-driving services, or personal information.