To go to your Messages, select the button below.
You can always view your eBay Messages by signing in to My eBay and selecting Messages - opens in new window or tab.
How to send a message on eBay
How you send a message to another eBay member will depend on whether you’ve already done business with them:
- If you’d like to contact someone you haven’t had any transaction with before, you can select their username to go to their profile page and then select Contact
- If you’ve bid on, bought from, or sold to the member, you can contact them through My eBay:
- Find the item in your Purchase History.
- Select the More actions dropdown menu and select Contact seller or Contact buyer.
- Type your message and select Send.
We’ll send your message to the member’s eBay Messages inbox and their personal email address. You can choose to send a copy to your registered email address as well.
Sellers sometimes provide answers to commonly asked questions. If they have, we’ll show you this information before you contact the seller.
Organizing your Messages inbox
There are a number of features to help you organize your inbox and keep track of your messages:
- You can filter your messages to only see messages from other members or from eBay by selecting From members or From eBay
- You can mark messages as high priority by selecting the box next to the message in your inbox and select Mark as and then choose Flagged
- To organize your messages into folders, select Add a folder+, enter a name for your folder, and select Save
- If you have any unread messages, you’ll see a number in brackets on the Messages tab
- If you’d like to delete a message, select the box next to the message in your inbox and select Delete
You can also change how many messages are displayed in your inbox and when your old messages can be archived by changing your settings:
- Go to Messages - opens in new window or tab.
- Select Change Settings on the top right-hand side of the page.
- Update your settings and select Apply.
If you’re going to be away or won’t have access to your Messages, you can turn on an automatic response. Here’s how:
- Go to Time Away settings - opens in new window or tab.
- Select Automatic response.
- Set a Start date and End date for your message.
- Type your message in the Automatic response box.
- Select Apply.
If someone contacts you through eBay messages during your time away period, they'll receive your automatic response message, along with the end date of your time away.
Remember, turning on your automatic response does not hide or pause your active listings; buyers will still be able to bid on and buy items from you as usual. If you want to pause sales, see our Time away help page.