CHECK YOUR INVOICE BEFORE INCLUDING IT IN YOUR MEDIA MAIL PACKAGE! Media mail service has special eligibility requirements for permissible contents and quite often are opened and inspected. If you include a note on your invoice ex: thanks for your purchase, or enjoy your books, or leave positive feedback if happy with your purchase, you just made that package 1st class mail (this is the most common problem with media mail packages). Upon inspection, items that are not eligible for the media mail rate will be assessed at the proper rate and sent to the recipient POSTAGE DUE. In turn, a letter is sent off to the sender (you) letting you know that the item didn't qualify and your item was sent postage due. It will inform you that if the recipient doesn't accept the package (pay the due amount) it will be returned to you for the full amount. If you print your invoice off the paypal, half.com, or ebay website, it automatically includes a note thanking the customer for using PAYPAL, the safest way to shop online. That is advertisement and MEDIA MAIL CANNOT CONTAIN ADVERTISEMENT OR PERSONAL NOTATIONS OF ANY KIND.
Media mail rates are limited to the items that I will list below:
- Books (at least 8 pages).
- Sound recordings (e.g., video recordings and DVDs).
- Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals and music.
- Printed music.
- Computer readable media containing pre-recorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media (e.g., commercially available instruction videos/DVDs).
- Sixteen millimeter or narrow witdth films.
- Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
- Printed educational reference charts.
- Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctor, hospital, medical school or student.
Items that DO NOT qualify as Media mail:
- Advertisement of any kind. (magazines do not qualify due to the advertisements).
- Homemade CDs or DVDs. (these items are of a personal nature and anything of a personal nature is 1st class mail).
- VIDEO GAMES or BLANK MEDIA DISCs/disks. Since there is no media on the discs, they do not qualify. (This is a parcel post item and if inspected will be forwarded postage due for the parcel post rate.
- Catalogs including price lists or order forms. This included PRINCESS HOUSE, HOME INTERIORS, PAMPERED CHEF, etc.....
- Business materials. Documents, invoices, estimates, policies, etc.........
- Photo albums, address books, school yearbooks, scrapbooks, etc..........
Thanks for time. I hope this guide will save you and your buyer alot of grief. Please check one of the boxes below, whether this guide was helpful or not.