ICARIIN BUYERS GUIDE
Discover which icariin supplements are the best and most effective available for Men and for Women. This buyers guide will give you all the in-depth factual information you need, addressing the following key areas of importance:
- What icariin actually is
- How icariin works
- The different strengths of icariin extracts available
- How MEN can benefit sexually from taking icariin
- How WOMEN can benefit sexually from taking icariin
- How icariin improves bodybuilding & athletic performance
- The ability of icariin to prevent and /or treat Osteoporosis
- The recommended dosage of icariin extract
- The possible adverse side effects from taking icariin
- Tips on how to buy the best icariin supplements
- The top rated icariin supplement available for MEN
- The top rated icariin supplement available for WOMEN
1. What is icariin?
Icariin is a very powerful active flavonol found naturally within all members of the Epimedium plant family, which was long since coined under the name of Horny Goat Weed extract. Horny Goat Weed is now recognized as the best natural libido enhancing supplement available.
2. How does icariin work?
The first of these two processes is the increase in efficient transmission of a naturally occurring free radical called Nitric Oxide. Nitric Oxide is a vital cellular signalling molecule and its primary signaling purposes lay within the successful delivery of blood around the body when and where required.
The second process which occurs within the body from the consumption of icariin, is an increase in the level of 'free form' circulating testosterone hormones i.e. the primary male sex hormone. Testosterone can only exhibit its useful properties by connecting to the androgen receptors on the cell walls and in order to achieve this successfully, the testosterone hormones have to be in their 'free form'.
3. Are there different strengths of icariin extract available?Yes, there are different strengths of extract available and understanding 'icariin strength' initially seems very obvious, however when you dig a bit deeper things become slightly less cut-and-dry as first thought.
Icariin strength is essentially represented by the percentage of the actual icariin flavonol contained within any Horny Goat Weed (Epimedium) supplement, after the extraction process has taken place, that's the rather obvious part. However, the effectiveness of icariin at treating health conditions is not actually linear with an increase in icariin content percentage. The reason for the lack of linearity between the increase in icariin percentage and the increase in effectiveness is due to the fact that, like most flavonols, icariin is at its most active when it is still embodied within a portion of its original constituent parts, meaning that if all the constituent parts are removed thus leaving 100% icariin flavonols, then those flavonols naturally become less stable and as result less effective.
Categorized below is the various icariin percentage range groups, listed from most effective at the top, to the least effective at the bottom:
- 60% ICARIIN CONTENT: The 60% ICARIIN purity level is by far the most effective, being the optimum percentage whereby the content of icariin is very high along with all the icariin flavonols remaining 100% active due to the constituent parts of Horny Goat Weed extract still being present by the remaining 40%. If you are buying Horny Goat Weed in order to get the maximum possible effect, then 60% ICARIIN is the best percentage available.
- 50% ICARIIN CONTENT: Second place for effectiveness goes to 50% ICARIIN, which while not as potent as the 60% ICARIIN, it still does pack a good solid punch in terms of effectiveness.
- 40% ICARIIN CONTENT: This strength percentage is a happy medium which is actually the reason why it is actually quite difficult to find, meaning that because it neither ticks the 'Most Effective' box or the 'Lowest Price' box, it simply doesn't tend to be a popular strength percentage in the retail market.
- 70% - 98% ICARIIN CONTENT: The 70% to 98% ICARIIN strength category is where the lack of linearity mentioned above comes into play. You won't find too many Epimedium extract products in the 70% - 98% ICARIIN percentage range due to the fact that icariin flavonoids have shown to lose their stability and effectiveness at the 70% and above mark. This loss of effectiveness (as per a 2011 lab publication from a European Biological-Institute) is the result of over-extraction and loss of structure within the Epimedium extract and icariin flavonols. You will see some stores retailing 98% ICARIIN products which suffer from the aforementioned over-extraction issue and as a result they CANNOT be 'standardized', meaning that the extract cannot be stabilised and/or guaranteed to a specific purity level of the active flavonoid icariin. As a result of this, any Horny Goat Weed supplement comprising of 98% ICARIIN extract cannot and should not ever be legitimately labelled as being 'standardized'. For this very reason 98% ICARIIN extract will often be cheaper to buy than 60% ICARIIN extract.
- 30% ICARIIN CONTENT: As with the 40% ICARIIN strength range, the 30% ICARIIN supplements are generally few and far between, as they too neither fit the bill of being the most effective or the cheapest, making them an unpopular strength both at retail level and consumer level.
- 20% ICARIIN CONTENT: Horny Goat Weed supplements in the 20% range are very popular, which is not down to their level of effectiveness, as they are obviously far less powerful than a 60% ICARIIN supplement, however they can be bought for a relatively low price, hence this range proves very popular in the Horny Goat Weed/icariin supplement market.
- 10% ICARIIN CONTENT: This, as the number suggests, is the lowest strength of extract one can acquire and hence is sold at the cheapest prices (sometimes as low as $10 for a 1 month supply), therefore although 10% ICARIIN is the least effective standardized extract available it is probably the biggest seller, due to its low price point and widespread availability.
4. How can Men benefit from taking icariin in terms of Sexual Health?Essentially icariin is thee perfect supplement for men, which is why at present men occupy about 80 percent of the Horny Goat Weed supplement market. The reason for men occupying such a dominant share of Horny Goat Weed sales is because the primary two actions of icariin (as discussed above i.e. Nitric Oxide transmission and an increase in free form circulating Testosterone) are the most crucial contributing factors to the healthy functioning of the male reproductive system.
Healthy levels of Nitric Oxide transmission are absolutely essential for men in order to gain a strong and solid erection of the penis and this is because without healthy levels of Nitric Oxide, the amount of blood in which the body triggers to be delivered to the penis becomes significantly reduced.
Testosterone is a vital hormone for male sexual health due to the fact that Testosterone hormones regulate the level of sex drive a man has, therefore if your free Testosterone levels are at a low, you simply won't feel as sexually eager and excited towards your partner. Another very worthy benefit of maintaing good strong levels Testosterone is that this hormone is a primary contributor in the healthy production of sperm.
The sexual benefits in which a man will receive from taking high icariin strength Horny Goat Weed capsules daily are as follows:
- Phenomenal increases in the solidity of an erection.
- The ability to have more consistent and more frequent erections.
- Much higher levels of sex drive i.e. increased desire to have sexual intercourse with your partner.
- Increased sexual stamina, in terms of both the frequency and duration of actual sexual intercourse.
- Vastly healthier sperm production.
5. How can Women benefit from taking icariin in terms of Sexual Health?Although as was stated earlier, icariin is the ideal supplement for men in all respects, this doesn't mean that it isn't also a good herbal remedy for women, as the fact is that icariin is also hugely effective for women. The way in which icariin is beneficial for women in terms of sexual health comes down to the fact that women also rely on Nitric Oxide for the successful delivery of blood flow to the clitoris allowing for a fully stimulated clitoris during sexual intercourse.
The difference however with Horny Goat Weed for women is that the high icariin strength extracts aren't generally recommended for women, due to the fact that high icariin purity 'standardized' Horny Goat Weed supplements increase levels of free form testosterone which isn't a hormone women require for sexual health in the same way as men do. For this reason most Horny Goat Weed supplements which have been formulated specifically for women will contain either 10% or 20% icariin maximum and will then usually contain some other ingredients which will help boost the actual sex drive of women (for further information on this, please read the section below titled 'Which is the most effective icariin supplement available for Women?').
6. Is icariin a good supplement for Bodybuilding & Sports Performance?The use of icariin based supplements by athletes of all types in order to improve sporting performance is something that has been happening for many years, with the results obtained being incomparable to any other 'single extract' natural herbal supplement. Despite this lengthy history of icariin's use within sports supplements, the majority of athletes who have a good foundation of knowledge regarding dietary supplements don't generally have in-depth knowledge of Horny Goat Weed/Epimedium/Icariin. The reason for this is due to the fact that the majority of performance enhancing sports supplements consist of a huge mixture of various different ingredients and the manufactures then usually give the supplements a fancily branded name that they think best markets the product to the type of consumer they are targeting. Hence, unless you are a person who carefully studies the exact content of all your chosen performance supplements, you may also have overlooked the fact that some of your current or previous performance boosting supplements have in fact contained Horny Goat Weed (Epimedium) extracted to a standardized percentage of icariin.
When you consider the fact that icariin based supplements at high standardized purity percentages (such as 60% icariin) are very powerful natural NO (Nitric Oxide) boosters and Testosterone boosters, it becomes immediately obvious as to why they hold a very heavy presence in this field of sports supplements, especially in the area of endurance sports and bodybuilding. The benefits obtained by athletes who take an icariin based supplement daily include the following:
- Increased endurance from the extra delivery of blood and oxygen to the muscles.
- Reduced recovery time due to efficient delivery of nutrients to the repairing muscle tissue.
- Increased lean muscle.
- Hugely improved stamina and increased mental drive.
- Vastly intensified 'pump'.
7. Can icariin be used to treat Osteoporosis?
8. What is the correct dosage of icariin?
Icariin dosage is something which can never be truly pinpointed to one single milligram per day figure, meaning that there are many factors which determine how much icariin extract should be taken by a person and sometimes it can depend upon the actual individual taking the supplement, rather than the strength of the icariin supplement. It has been shown however that taking icariin in smaller but more frequent doses helps increase the beneficial effects when compared to taking larger amounts with less frequency.
In terms of the amount of an icariin supplement which should be consumed per day, the best advice here is to follow the dosage instructions stated on the manufacturers product information/bottle label supplied, as each manufacturers stated dosage will/should have been trialled and sample tested in order to find the most suitable dosage for a given group of people.
Taking Horny Goat Weed extract
(containing icariin) can result in some very mild side effects, however such side effects are truly rare, usually occurring in only 1% of people who take Horny Goat Weed extract. Generally speaking as long as you follow the correct dosage instructions stated by the manufacturer, then you shouldn't experience much in the way of adverse side effects.
9. Does taking icariin result in any adverse side effects?
For those few people who have reported having mild adverse side effects from taking icariin, such side effects have consisted solely of mild headaches, and in some very rare cases (with men only) a slight increase in levels of aggression, resulting from the boost in free circulating testosterone.
Such side effects as those just mentioned usually only occur within the initial week or two of icariin dosing, basically until your body becomes accustomed to the icariin flavonol. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, then quite obviously it's always best practice to consult your doctor/physician prior to taking health supplements of any sort.
When buying Horny Goat Weed, in order to gain the most benefit from the effects of icariin there are a number of factors to consider and a number of rules to abide by, in order to get the best quality supplement for your money:
10. TIPS ON BUYING ICARIIN - How can I tell a bad icariin supplement from a good one?
- Firstly, check the percentage of icariin you are buying, meaning that if for example you are looking to buy a 60% icariin product then check that the supplement information label states that it is actually a 60% icariin product. Also, as mentioned earlier in this article, check that the supplement you are interested in states that it is comprised of a 'standardized' extract.
- Check that the Horny Goat Weed supplement you are interested in buying only contains Horny Goat Weed (Epiemdium) extract and not lots of other extracts and ingredients. This may seem very obvious however there are many so called Horny Goat Weed products on the market which in actual fact consist of many other ingredients, leaving only about half of the supplement being made up of actual Horny Goat Weed extract.
- Make a mental note of this next tip as it's crucially important: Icariin and icariins are two very different things! Icariin is pure flavonoid, so the percentage dictates exactly the amount of icariin flavonoids you are getting for your money. Icariins <-- this time with an 's' is a very low grade compound that contains substances which have only very small traces of actual icariin flavonoids, hence, if for example you see a product claiming to contain 50% icariins, the reality is that you would probably be just as well having bought a 10% icariin product instead.
- Avoid overly cheap products claiming to consist of high strength percentages of icariin. The reason for saying this is that Horny Goat Weed containing high amounts of standardized icariin (i.e. the 50% and 60% icariin range) are exceptionally expensive to extract and produce, therefore it isn't possible for a legitimate retailer to buy a high strength icariin extract at trade cost and then retail that product at say $30 per 1 month supply, the retailer would be making a big loss. The bottom line is that with Horny Goat Weed and icariin (as with the majority of health products), you pay for what you get!
11. Which is the most effective icariin supplement available for Men?The most powerful and by far the best icariin based supplement on the market for men is a 'standardized' pure 60% icariin Horny Goat Weed supplement called Icariin 60™ by World A.B.S. This is a 'zero gimmicks' Horny Goat Weed supplement which, is simply very pure and very powerful.
Icariin 60™ is targeted at men specifically and this is due to how powerful of a Testosterone booster this supplement has shown to be, along with it's unmatched ability to boost up your Nitric Oxide levels back up. These huge boosts in both Nitric Oxide and Testosterone levels are the reason that this all natural health supplement has become a remedy adopted by various male health clinics across the globe, for the purpose of treating Erectile Dysfunction and Low Sex Drive in men.
Not only does Icariin 60™ Horny Goat Weed dominate the herbal male sexual enhancement world but this extract also remarkably rules the roost in the athletic performance booster market too, being one of the top selling bodybuilding supplements on the current market.
World A.B.S Icariin 60™ capsules are available worldwide from the icariinhealth.com on-line store and also at selected specialist high street herbal stores across the USA and Europe. This maximum-strength Horny Goat Weed extract retails at between $65 to $80 per bottle (1 month supply).
12. Which is the most effective icariin supplement available for Women?Speciality women's Horny Goat Weed products are fairly rare due to the extract being a predominantly male marketed supplement, but they do exist and at present the best example of an icariin based supplement for women is a Horny Goat Weed extract produced by the UK natural health store chain; Holland & Barrett.
This supplement is standardized to just 10% icariin hence it is very safe for women to take, however the bonus here (which for women's Horny Goat Weed products is an exception to rule No. 2 of the 'TIPS ON BUYING ICARIIN' above) is that these capsules contains a number of other ingredients such as Passion Flower, Maca and Oats Avena Sativa, which specifically help boost the sex drive of women without influencing testosterone levels.
Holland & Barrett's Horny Goat Weed For Women is available in the UK from the majority of their nationwide chain of high-street stores and is also available to the rest of Europe via their on-line store at hollandandbarrett.com from £21 ($35) per bottle (1 month supply).