Youth Basketball Shoes
When boys and girls are heading out to play basketball, they should be in the right shoes. Basketball shoes for kids offer support and cushioning, and adults can appreciate that these shoes don't mark up the basketball court. There are many different sneakers to choose from, so your amateur athlete can find some that fit well and look great.What brands make basketball shoes for boys and girls?
You can select from brands such as:
- Under Armour
Basketball is different from other sports because of the intense sprinting, jumping, and direction changing that takes place. Basketball players need a shoe that protects their ankles as they move in all directions while stopping and starting in a matter of seconds. Almost all basketball shoes have mid or high ankles. Shoes for basketball players should be durable, supportive, stable, shock-absorbing, and flexible.What are some youth basketball shoe collections?
Youth players often look up to the heroes of the court. Many of the premier athletes in the NBA have their own line of basketball shoes. Below there are a few examples of what you could consider for sneakers if your budding athlete has a favorite player. Within each style, there are various color combinations available. Here are some of those styles:
- LeBron James: James has partnered with Nike to make several different basketball sneakers for boys and girls. These range from the Nike LeBron Soldier 10s and 11s to the XIV model.
- Stephen Curry: The prolific NBA scorer partnered with Under Armour to make basketball sneakers for kids. Versions for boys and girls include the Under Armour Curry 2, 2.5, and the 3Zero.
- Kevin Durant: You could buy KD Vulc sneakers or KD VIIIs with a lower profile or KD 9 Elites and KD Xs with a little taller ankle.
- Michael Jordan: When you go with an Air Jordan, you can select from a retro look to a space-age appearance. Models include the Jordan Retro 5, the Jordan Spizike, AJ 1, True Flight, and Jumpman Pro.
There are three main components of a basketball shoe:
- Uppers: The upper could be made out of leather, canvas, synthetic materials, or a combination of them. Leather is highly durable but can be a bit heavy for use on the basketball court. That's why you'll usually see leather in some places and synthetic mesh in others on a basketball shoe. This can provide breathability and lighten things up for kids.
- Closures: To get a secure fit, laces are the traditional choice. Often, shoes have a Velcro strap at the top as an additional closer. Some models for kids have zippers for style, and shoes for juniors and toddlers may use Velcro exclusively.
- Soles: Most basketball shoes have rubber soles to provide the right combination of flexibility and structure. The mid-sole and other parts of the sole provide cushioning material to help with jumping and shock-absorption.