Shop by Category
Shop by Region
Featured Collectible Stamps
From eBay top rated seller, noblespiritShop Event
Hot This Week
- Whole world stamps selection kiloware, 100 different stamps.$1.304 left
- International Reply Coupons (IRCs) expire 12/31/2017 from various countries$1.7543 sold
- 1000000's of STAMPS-ALBUMS-GLASSINES-MINT-SETS-Used-COLLECTION-LOT ALL DIFFERENT$3.9940 sold
- 250 PCS LOT OF USED WORLD STAMPS OFF PAPER - FREE SHIPPING FROM HUNGARY$4.9934 sold
- Dealer stamp Stock Liquidation ; Collectors Bargain : All Different Free Ship$12.0020 sold
- 1000000's of STAMPS-ALBUMS-GLASSINES-MINT-SETS-Used-COLLECTION-LOT-DEALER CARDS!$9.9917 sold
- Million's of worldwide from estate,stamps from stock books,albums,dealer cards.$3.9915 sold
- COLLECTION GREAT MIX LOTS OF 100 STOCK OF WORLD WIDE POSTAGE STAMPS$0.9914 sold
Got one to sell?
Get it in front of 160+ million buyers.
Make an Offer
- 1933 NASCOPIE COVER, EARLY VOYAGE BAGOTVILLE TO GREENLAND$625.006d 14h+$7.40 shippingMake Offer
- Italy Trieste AMG FTT Overprinted 1953 Leonado Da Vinci 20L Postal Card$15.00+$1.50 shippingMake Offer
- 1¢ WONDER'S ~ GERMANY 1944 FELDPOST COVER HAMBURG POSTMARKS - ZZ629$0.016d 21hFree shippingMake Offer
- U.N. 2009 MNH Endangered Species Blocks of 4 From All 3 Offices$7.75+$0.85 shippingMake Offer
- 1¢ WONDER'S ~ GERMANY 1941 FELDPOST COVER HAMBURG POSTMARKS - ZZ630$0.016d 21hFree shippingMake Offer
- EGYPT -USA 1941 DUAL CENSOR COVER TO NY, 22m RATE (SEE BELOW$5.996d 12h+$2.65 shippingMake Offer
- Brunei 2017 Golden Jubilee Accession To The Throne Of Brunei Sultan FDC$3.99+$3.20 shippingMake Offer
- 1942 - Sc# 807 - Jefferson - Bronx New York NY - Air Force Base Scott Field ILL$0.996d 19h+$3.00 shippingMake Offer
What does "postal history" mean for a collector of worldwide stamps?
Postal history is a subset of philately. The term encompasses the study and collection of postal artifacts that illustrate the evolution of the postal service throughout history on a worldwide scale. The subject includes marcophily, the collection of postmarks and other postal markings, such as wartime rubber stamps. Many postal history enthusiasts enjoy collectibles such as first day covers.
What is a first day cover?
First day covers are popular collectibles comprising a cover (usually a postcard or envelope), a set of stamps, and a cancellation bearing the date of first issue for the stamps. Modern covers feature attractive designs, and companies such as Benhams produce limited-edition covers with silk insets that are particularly appealing to collectors. These modern covers generally have thematically linked cancellations, stamps, and covers, and are pictorial milestones that are fun to collect and display. Rare covers, and covers signed by a relevant celebrity, are particularly valuable and command a premium on the secondary market.
What is philately?
Philately is the official term for stamp collecting, and someone who collects or studies stamps is a philatelist. Georges Herpin coined the phrase in 1864 because he did not approve of the previous term, "timbromania." He combined "phil," meaning "an attraction to something," with "ateleia," meaning "exempt from taxes," to form the new word. Many philatelists collect stamps and other forms of postal history from around the world, as the varied and interesting designs make for fascinating collections.