Finding the Right Wonder Woman Costume
A popular DC comics superhero and member of the Justice League, Wonder Woman costumes for women are highly sought after, even more so after the release of the Wonder Woman movie in 2017. Female superheroes make great Halloween costumes for adults and children alike and can be paired with Superman or other superheroes or supervillains for group costumes.
What Wonder Woman Costumes are Available?
Wonder Woman has several versions: the 1970s television series, the comics, and the recently released movie. Because of this, costumes can vary greatly.
- 1970s TV Series: The 1970s Wonder Woman, also known as the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman after the actress who played her, had a more campy and light-hearted style. The colors used are brighter and the material of the costume is mainly cloth. Key items for this style are red knee-high boots with white trim and a one-piece that has a blue bottom with white stars, separated from the red strapless top by a gold belt. The top of the one-piece also has a stylized gold eagle across the chest. She also occasionally has a cape that incorporates the color and style of the rest of her outfit.
- Comics: While Wonder Woman has had many changes to her costume through her history, some common themes and items remain in almost all incarnations. Wonder Womans clothing usually consists of a red top with a golden eagle across the chest, a blue skirt, and red boots. These vary in brightness and style, and in some cases may be metal or leather armor rather than cloth. Sometimes, the eagle is replaced with the flared double W symbol of Wonder Woman. She also keeps her iconic accessories, which are a golden tiara with a red star on it, golden bracers on each arm, and her golden lasso. While the tiara and bracers may be silver in some versions, the lasso is always golden. Additional items include an Ancient Greek style short sword, a Wonder Woman wig, and a round metal shield.
- 2017 Movie: The 2017 movie takes a more realistic approach and has darker colors as well as a leather armor appearance. The red boots also extend slightly higher and end in gold metal kneepads. This version of Wonder Woman usually has a sword and shield.
How Can I Make a Wonder Woman Costume?
To make a Wonder Woman costume for Halloween or costume parties, start by determining which version of Wonder Woman you are basing your costume off. While the outfit is similar, they all have distinct variations to consider. Then, make sure you have the following items:
- Red boots
- Blue skirt or pants
- Red top, with either a gold eagle or gold WW across the chest
- Solid tiara
- Gold lasso
- An optional wig of long dark hair
Other Wonder Woman themed clothes are available for a more subtle style, such as a red dress or top with gold trim and the WW symbol. See the manufacturer site for size details.