Women's cardigan sweaters are knitted tops with an open front, long sleeves, and a textured stitch pattern. They are worn as the top layer of clothing, usually over a tank, shell, blouse, or turtleneck. Cardigan sweaters are known for their versatility in a range of temperatures, full spectrum of features, and wide selection of colors, including black, grey, white, and the rainbow.What are the features of women's cardigans?
- Pockets: Cardigan sweaters for women often have small front pockets that are set into the knitted fabric.
- Hood: A cardigan may have a hood. This type of sweater is often made of worsted, Aran, or bulky weight yarn for thickness. This sort of cardigan is sometimes referred to as a sweater coat.
- Collar and neckline: Cardigans for women may have a shawl collar. The sweater's neckline may be V-neck, boatneck, crew neck, or scoop-neck.
- Closures: Cardigans for women may use snaps, traditional buttons with buttonholes, toggle buttons with loops, hook and loop tape, hooks, or shawl pins for a sweater closure. Some kimono-style cardigans use a belt to close the sweater. A sweater in the flyaway-style has no closure.
- Acrylic: Acrylic cardigans are soft to the touch, come in a range of colors, and are hypoallergenic. These sweaters for women can go into a washing machine and dryer.
- Cotton and blends: Cardigans made from cotton or cotton blends are lightweight. Cotton is often blended with rayon, bamboo, or polyester for stretch and softness.
- Wool and wool-blends: Wool is the traditional material for a sweater. Pure wool comes in natural shades of white, brown, grey, and black. It can also be dyed other colors, such as green. Wool blends offer the same warmth as pure wool sweaters. A wool cardigan often has a cabled front and sleeves.
- Cashmere and luxury fibers: Cashmere, angora, mohair, yak, quiviut, and other animal fibers may be used to knit women’s cardigans. These luxury fibers come in natural colors such as tan and grey, and they can also be dyed other colors. Women's cardigans made from cashmere and other luxury fibers should be hand-washed and laid flat to dry.
When wearing a grey, green, or black monochromatic cardigan, you will need to select another top to layer under it. For a casual look, choose a T-shirt or tank top. A cardigan worn over these short sleeve tops is often a staple in workplaces that get cold or anyplace that has chilly evenings. Another fashionable way to wear a cardigan is with an untucked button-down shirt underneath with the shirt tails hanging out from the hemline of the sweater and the shirt cuffs coming out from under the sweater’s sleeves. For a business-casual look, pair your women's cardigan with a button-down blouse or shell. In cold environments, you may wish to pair your cardigan with a ribbed turtleneck sweater underneath.