Women's Block Mary Jane Heels
Black leather Mary Jane shoes are pumps with block heels that got their name from a newspaper comic dating back to 1902. Little Mary Jane was a character in the Buster Brown cartoon drawn by R.F. Outcault. Mary Jane heels for women are also called character shoes, and the black pumps with medium heels are worn by tap dancers and as fashionable or casual shoes.
What Mary Jane heels and pumps and shoes are available?
The classic style of Mary Jane pumps for women don't have high heels, but feature blocky heels no higher than 2 inches with a narrow buckled strap and rounded toe. Classic Mary Jane heels are usually made from black leather:
- Classic black pumps and Mary Jane looks in shoes for women with ankle straps and chunky 1- to 2-inch heels.
- Fashion pumps and shoes can include a strap on the vamp instead of at the ankle.
- Black leather pumps and rounded toes also come in higher heels.
- Suede or patent leather pumps with chunky heels can also be found in classic Mary Jane shoes.
What are some Mary Jane styles and alternative shoes?
Alternative Mary Jane shoes use materials, styling, and different heights of heels than the black, blocky, original version. Dorothy's ruby red slippers from the "The Wizard of Oz" are a creative version of these classic shoes.
- Glitter and sequin-covered Mary Janes come in many colors and heels, not just "The Wizard of Oz" red.
- Delicate pink, lavender, and silver Mary Janes match ultra feminine dresses.
- Wear two-tone spectator pumps with high heels or mid heels for a Mary Jane take on work attire.
- Try a casual wedge Mary Jane or platform wedge heels with bold styling.
Can you find Mary Janes in non-traditional styles?
Instantly recognizable as a traditional women's shoe style, Mary Janes do come in ultrahigh platform heights and stiletto heels. Peep toes, shiny red or black patent, or clear foot-revealing vamps make these shoes more mature for intimate evenings.
- Platform heights of up to 8 inches on pumps are available.
- Red, white, and black patent are more common platform or Mary Jane shoe materials.
- Clear high heels, peep toes, and platforms on Mary Jane pumps are also available
What are some other variations on Mary Jane pumps for women?
Shoe designers apply creativity to the basic buckled strap, block heel, and rounded toe pumps to create feminine, sweet, sexy, and stylish Mary Jane heels.
- Designer Mary Jane pumps offer unique materials like snakeskin or textured leather.
- A T-strap can look sexy with high heels or sweet with low heels.
- Blocky heels come in low, medium, and platform heights on Mary Jane pumps.
- Bows at the ankle or toe create feminine and alluring looks.
What shoe colors can you select?
Your shoe color choices don't stop at black, white, or red. You can find pink, pale yellow, pale blue, and taupe shoes for spring fashions. Brighten up winter outfits with bold orange, hot pink, turquoise, and lemon yellow pumps. Match fall colors with brown, cordovan, burgundy, forest green, or deep purple choices.