Wireless Light Switches
Wireless light switches provide a convenient solution to light fixtures with pull chains or inconveniently placed switches. Easy to install, these devices allow you to place a light switch anywhere you choose. There are many types of switches available for every style, color, and function you desire.How do wireless light switches work?
They use remote signaling with specific codes that transmit between wall light switches and fixtures. There are many styles of wireless light switches available, but as far as function, there are two types.
- Screw-in - This type allows you to screw the radio receiver in between the light fixture and the bulb. These devices require a battery to function and can power incandescent bulbs up to 60 watts.
- Wired-in - This type requires a radio receiver to be installed in the wiring harness. No batteries are necessary for wired receivers, and the wall switch can be placed anywhere within 100 feet.
Installing a wireless light switch is an easy task. If using the screw-in type: Simply remove the bulb and screw the radio receiver into the fixture. Then, screw the bulb into the receiver. Choose a place for your wireless light switch, and mount the switch with the screws provided.
If using a wired-in system: Turn the power off at the electrical box before starting. This is imperative to your safety. Once the power has been turned off at the breaker, remove the light bulb and unscrew the fixture. Detach the fixture and supply wires and connect the receiver and supply wires. Next, attach the fixture and receiver wires and mount the fixture back in its place. Finally, choose a location for the wireless light switch and mount the it to the wall using the provided screws.
You will need the following tools:
- Screwdriver- Either a flathead or Phillips, depending on the screws.
- Voltage tester- Use this to make sure the fixture is not receiving electrical power before starting the project.
- Wire strippers- Used to clean and expose electrical lines for clean, safe connections.
- Wire nuts- These safely hold the connected electrical lines together.
You can install and use these wireless light switches anywhere you'd like, provided it is protected from water and extreme weather conditions. They are ideal for light fixtures with awkwardly placed switches. They are also great solutions for rooms that do not have a light switch by the entrance, preventing you from searching in the dark for the switch.