BMW X5 Windshield Wiper Systems
Windshield wipers perform the essential task of keeping the windshield clear so the driver can see out of it. For that reason, it's important to have a windshield wiper system that works well. It's also important for BMW owners to choose windshield wiper systems compatible with their cars.How do you find windshield wipers for your BMW?
Primarily, you should ensure you purchase replacement parts that match the style information given in the owner's manual for your BMW. Aside from that, there are some other things you can look for to ensure a proper fit.
- Make sure the windshield wipers will connect to your BMW. Most wipers come with adapters for different connection systems.
- Make sure the windshield wipers are the right size for the window.
- Make sure the windshield wipers will clean enough of the window to provide adequate visibility.
- Make sure the wiper blades will perform well when new, and last a reasonable length of time. They should last at least six months except in extremely cold and hot areas.
- Make sure to buy beam-style blades for any BMW that came with them. Bracket-style blades may not fit as well on cars made for beam-style blades.
Windshield wiper blades should be replaced when they can no longer clean adequately. When they are too worn to work well, they will begin leaving streaks or smears on the window, skip spots, or make unwelcome noises. Generally, they should last about six months, but they may last longer in mild climates. They may need to be replaced more often in extremely cold or hot areas. Silicone wiper blades often last longer, especially in areas with hot summers. If one wiper blade on a windshield is worn out, it’s a good idea to replace both, because the other will probably wear out soon.What other parts might BMW windshield wiper systems have?
Windshield wiper systems have several other parts that sometimes need replacing. Remember that it's important to choose parts compatible with your BMW.
- Reservoirs to hold the windshield washer fluid.
- Pumps to pump the fluid to the windshield.
- Hoses or tubes to transport the fluid.
- Motors to power wipers.
- Sensors to detect whether it is raining.
Beam-style wiper blades are built as one curved beam. Bracket-style blades are an older design that uses a frame to hold the wiper blade and press it to the windshield. Most cars made after 2000 were made with beam-style wiper blades, which are more effective in snow than bracket blades. It’s usually fine to put beam-style blades on a vehicle that originally had bracket wiper blades, but bracket blades should not be put on a vehicle that came with beam-style wiper blades.How are windshield wipers mounted on a BMW?
Windshield wiper blades are usually mounted on a vehicle using hooks. Some vehicles have pins or bayonets to mount the blades. The mounting system used in a BMW X5 varies according to the year the vehicle was made. Most blades come with adapters so they can be mounted on most vehicles.