Nissan Altima Window Motors and Parts
There's nothing like enjoying some "free air conditioning" in your Nissan Altima, cruising down the road with your vehicle's windows rolled down. When you press the window switch and nothing happens, though, it's important, from both a safety and comfort standpoint, to get your Altima's window motor repaired quickly.What are the features of a window on an Altima?
Your Nissan Altima's windows have many features that make them easy and convenient to use. Directly related to the windows is the ability for the driver to lock the other windows so they can't be lowered. If you have small children or pets riding with you in your Nissan, this is a nice feature to have. Here are some other window features.
- Fast: The powerful motor responsible for raising and lowering the glass ensures you'll have the glass exactly where you want it in no time.
- Auto-up and auto-down: Pull up or depress the window switch completely, then release it, and the glass will continue in its direction of travel automatically until it is completely up or down.
- Reliable: The components in the power window system are designed and built to last.
Most of the parts you encounter in your search will be either new or second-hand Original Equipment Manufacturer, or OEM parts. Aftermarket parts must be matched to the model year of your Nissan Altima. Here are some typical components of an Altima's power window system.
- Switch: The switch is the component in the cabin that you press or release to move the glass up and down.
- Motor: This component takes the electrical current and transforms it into motion that is then used by the regulator to move the glass up and down.
- Window Regulator: This is the component that transforms the movements of the motor into up and down motion to raise and lower the glass. Your Nissan Altima's regulators are side-specific, so make sure you select either driver's or passenger's side when you purchase one.
Of all the components in your Nissan Altima's power window system, the most likely component to need replacement is the window motor. This is not due to any deficiency in the motor, but could be caused by it being placed under too much strain, such as if the glass is stuck due to ice or if there is a lot of snow on the glass when you raise or lower it.
- Remove the interior door panel by removing the screws and bolts holding it in place.
- Remove the regulator assembly cover by disconnecting the electrical cords from their clips and removing the bolts holding it in place.
- Remove the regulator and motor assembly by removing the bolts holding them in place, then remove the cover from the motor by removing the bolts that attach the cover to the motor.
- Install the new motor by attaching the cover, then re-installing the regulator assembly by putting it in place, then re-installing the bolts and electrical connection.
- Finally, re-install the regulator assembly cover by re-installing the bolts that hold it in place, then re-install the interior door panel by re-connecting all electrical connections and re-installing the bolts and screws. After that, test for proper operation.