Volant Downhill Skis
Volant skis are made by Amer Sports, an independent company formed in the US by the Kashiwa brothers in 1989. They have been producing skiing products, such as bindings, for nearly three decades. Their downhill skis are made by hand and produced in limited numbers.
What skis are currently available from Volant?
Volant currently offers three types of skis available.
- Black Spear - Designed especially for use on advanced/demanding slopes, but can it can be used on all types of terrain.
- Platinum - Designed for a balance between comfort and versatility.
- Silver - Designed as a performance ski with an element of style.
- Silver Spear - A lighter, more versatile, and more forgiving ski.
What lengths do the skis come in?
Each of Volant's skis comes with its own set of sizing options, which are listed below. All numbers are in centimeters.
- Black Spear: 160, 165, 170, 175, or 180.
- Platinum: 149, 157, 165, 173, 182.
- Silver: 150, 155, 160, 165, 170.
- Silver Spear: 150, 155, 160, 165, 170.
How do I know what size skis to get?
There's no simple answer. Although height is the primary factor, other things like skill level, snow type, and style come into play. Below you can find a rough guide, with heights given in inches and ski lengths in centimeters.
- Height: 5'-5'3". Ski length: 150-159.
- Height: 5'4"-5'7". Ski length: 160-169.
- Height: 5'8"-5'11". Ski length: 170-179.
- Height: 6'-6'3". Ski length: 180-189.
- Height : 6'4"+. Ski length: 190+.
What are some features of these skis?
Some of the features for these skis include the company's Steel Cap Technology and the Race Base. Each type of the ski also has its own unique features.
- Steep Cap Technology - This refers to a thin, full-length steel cap that covers the entire length of the skis.
- Race Base - Each of the skis has a graphite race base, designed to be scratch-resistant.
For extra stability, consider purchasing bindings to wear along with your skis. Bindings work to fasten your boot to your to the boot for a smooth ride on various types of snow. They can be used on Alpine skis and all-mountain skis, among others.
What type of skiing can Volant skis be used for?
Each type of ski is optimized for a slightly different purpose. The Black Spear is intended for advanced skiers who plan on going over more treacherous terrain. The Silver Spear tends to be a better option for beginners, who may prefer more forgiving skis. However, each type can ultimately be used for all forms of downhill skiing.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volant/Amer Sports.