On The Lake or on Your Wall: Vintage Fishing Reels to Meet Your Needs
If you enjoy fishing, you may want to add an antique fishing reel to your collection. Whether you plan on using it to reel in a big catch or just want to hang it above your fireplace for decoration, you want to make sure you choose the right one. There’s something about old fishing reels that can remind you of your favorite fishing memories on the lake, but there are also a lot of factors to consider when searching for the one you want.What types of vintage fishing reels are available?
Some of the types of vintage fishing reels you'll find on eBay include the following:
- Fly fishing reels: Fly fishing rods are often narrow and designed to be mounted horizontally onto a rod.
- Casting reels: Casting reels have been around since the 1800s and are designed to allow you to cast and retrieve quickly.
- Trolling reels: These reels are designed to be used while moving through the water on a boat.
- Spinning reels: These reels are designed for accuracy and distance. They give you more control over your cast and allow you to retrieve it quickly.
Some of the factors you'll want to take into consideration when selecting a vintage fishing reel include the following:
- Cost: An antique fishing reels price guide can help you set a budget for your reel purchase and ensure you are getting a good deal on the vintage reels you buy. The prices of old fishing reels can vary, but you can find good prices on vintage fishing reels on eBay.
- Design: If you are looking for a specific type of old fishing reels, you will need to decide which designs you like. Some people only collect fly reels or trolling reels, while others enjoy vintage reels of all types and are willing to add a variety of different designs to their collections.
- Purpose: Why are you interested in vintage reels? Do you plan on using them for fishing? If so, you will need to make sure the reel is in working condition before you buy it. Would you rather display it as part of a collection? If this is the case, you may be more worried about the appearance of the old fishing reels than their functionality.
- Age: Determine if you just want vintage reels or if you want antique fishing reels. Antique ones are at least 100 years old. Because they are from another time period, they are still vintage, but in order for reels to be vintage, they must merely be 20 years old, so just because they are vintage doesn't mean they'll be antique.
Some people prefer to collect or use a certain brand. Some of the brands you'll find on eBay include:
- Seamaster: These reels are saltwater reels that have been around since the '60s. This brand has many types of reels but its fly reels are what it's most known for.
- Heddon: Heddon is a company that started in the late 1800s and makes casting reels. The reels are well-made and many people still use them for fishing.
- Reel King: Reel King reels have been around since the early '70s. They are somewhat rare but very well-known among collectors.