Chevrolet Corvette Valve Stems and Caps
Chevrolet Corvette valve stems and caps play an important role in keeping your tires inflated. At some point you might need to select replacement valve stems or caps for your Chevrolet Corvette. Knowing more about these parts can help in choosing the right replacements.What types of valve stems are there for your Corvette?
There are three main types of valve stems for your Corvette.
- Tubeless, rubber snap-in valves are designed for a maximum pressure of 65 psi. These are primarily for use in passenger cars. You can customize this type of valve stem with various plastic, chrome, and metal valve caps.
- High-pressure, tubeless, snap-in valve stems are for vehicles designed to carry heavier loads. This valve stem works well with tires that need to inflate at a psi of 65 or more. The maximum for this design is between 80 to 100 psi, depending on the size of the tire.
- High-pressure, metal, clamp-in valve stems can be used on almost any style of wheel. These are intended for performance vehicles that can operate at high speeds. This style of valve stem uses a combination of rubber grommet and a retaining nut to seal the valve stem against the wheel.
Valve caps can come in a variety of styles and materials that can customize the look of your Chevrolet Corvette. Plastic is commonly used, but you can select from chrome and other metals.What are some tips for selecting valve stem and caps?
Follow these tips can help you select the right valve stems and caps:
- Select tire valves that are compatible with your car. You will want to know your car’s make, model, and year. Sometimes the manufacturer will change parts in the middle of the production year, so you may also want to know the production date.
- Select a style. Depending on the type of tires you’re using, you can select from options designed for performance and stock use.
- Select a brand. You can choose from various third party options and direct factory replacements that are compatible with your car.
When you need to replace a tire valve or valve cap for your Chevrolet Corvette, you can choose from a variety of companies. If you would like to choose from Original Equipment Manufacturer parts, labeled as OEM, you can select from valves made by General Motors and Chevrolet. With OEM valve stems and valve caps, they are produced to the same factory specifications as the original parts installed on your Chevrolet Corvette. Denso, Dorman, Precision Auto Labs, and other companies also produce compatible aftermarket options. When selecting from aftermarket parts, you may need to make adjustments for the parts to fit properly.