Whether you enjoy playing sports, going hiking, or participating in other activities that make you sweat, staying hydrated helps keep your body healthy. Taking a water bottle with you means that you can carry fluids with you to keep dehydration at bay. There are many different types of reusable water bottles, giving you plenty of options for finding the right water bottle and accessories.
What types of water bottles are there?
In addition to plastic, single-use water bottles, there are a variety of reusable water bottles that can be cleaned after you use them. Reusable water bottles are eco-friendly because they reduce waste.
- Metal water bottles: These drinking bottles are generally made from stainless steel or aluminum. They don't retain tastes and odors from previous drinks.
- Glass water bottles: Bottles made from glass are BPA-free and transfer minimal tastes or odors to water. These are heavier types of sports bottles. Many glass drinking bottles come with silicone sleeves to make them easier to hold.
- Filtering water bottles: These water bottles are often made from BPA-free plastic and may use UV light to purify the water. These plastic bottles help with hydration in areas that may not have safe drinking water.
- Hydration reservoirs: Also known as hydration bladders, these water systems allow you to carry large amounts of fluids in a pouch inside a backpack. You sip liquids through a tube that extends from the backpack.
What should you consider when looking for a water bottle?
The easier you find your stainless steel or glass bottle to use, the more likely you will be to use it. Here are a few things to look for.
- Easy to clean: Keeping the water in your bottle safe to drink is always important. You want a water bottle you can easily clean. Most plastic and glass water bottles can be washed in the dishwasher.
- Portable: Because you will likely be carrying your stainless steel or glass water bottle with you, choose one that is easy to carry. Both stainless steel bottles and glass water bottles come in a variety of sizes and with handy accessories.
- Usability: Some glass bottles and stainless-steel bottles have features that make your water more enticing to drink. For example, if you like drinking cold water, you are more likely to try and stay hydrated if your sports bottle is insulated.
What types of water bottle mouths are there?
The mouth types determine how you will access water from the bottle.
- Narrow mouth: Some stainless steel and glass water bottles have a narrower mouth that makes it easier to drink straight from the bottle.
- Wide mouth: Bottles with wide mouths are easier to fill and clean. Additionally, you can add ice cubes and water filters.