Choosing the Right Universal TV Main Board
Maybe your TV just isn't working right and it's time for a new set, or perhaps it's a quick fix that you can repair on your own. Either way, there's no need to rush to the electronics store just yet to invest in an expensive TV before you try to diagnose and repair the issue with your existing one.
What Do I Need to Know About TV Boards?
You can think of a main board as the brain of your television set or a central command base where all processes take place.
- When you look at the board, it can be a bit overwhelming due to the fact that it looks like a part with multiple circuits on it; however, it's not as complicated as it seems because each circuit is responsible for a distinct task.
- You may also hear this board called a motherboard or a circuit board. Not only does it work alongside the power supply to provide power to the necessary circuits, but it's also where you find the ports that you use to connect cables to peripherals, like the HDMI input and S-Video connector.
- The main board isn't the only board inside your set. There is also an inverter board, which provides the backlight of your screen. Without it, your display would either be flickering or completely black.
How Do You Know When Your Board Is Broken?
When something is wrong with anything, it's tempting just to go buy a new one; however, since TVs are made of many different parts, you can usually get your set working again after you replace a part when one is broken. There are a few ways that you can tell when your main board is the problem.
- When you turn on your TV and it won't even come on, chances are you could require a new main board.
- In some cases, your TV might turn on, but shortly after, it turns itself off.
- Another symptom is that you're able to turn the TV on and see a video image, but you can't get the sound to work. Alternately, you can hear the show that's playing, but the screen remains black.
Which Brands Can You Buy a Board For?
A universal main board is compatible with multiple models of televisions as long as it fits the specifications of the particular set, and you may find that you need one for an LCD TV or an LED model.
- Purchase a TV main board for your Samsung TV, but you'll need to make sure that the part number matches your existing set and that it's the right size for an LCD, plasma, or smart TV.
- Replace the board inside your LG set no matter what type of TV you have.
- You can also use a universal board in a VIZIO TV of any kind.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by the brands mentioned above.