Hot This Week
- UNSEARCHED INDIAN CENT WHEAT PENNIES ROLL BANK WRAPPED SET HOARD COLLECTION LOT!$13.29152 sold
- Unsearched Wheat Penny Rolls with Indian Heads Showing! Great Mix! Cent Coin Lot$12.6976 sold
- ☆Indian Head US Cent ☆ One 1 Copper Penny Coin ☆ From Estate Sale Lot 1859-1909☆$2.0368 sold
- Unopened US Lincoln Wheat Cent Penny Roll 1909-1958 P D S$8.9963 sold
- WHEAT PENNIES INDIAN CENTS OLD COINS US MONEY LOT UNSEARCHED COLLECTION SET SALE$15.3557 sold
- Unsearched Wheat Penny Rolls 1909svdb found 1-5-2016 !! 1 bid = 1 roll$4.7552 sold
- WHEAT PENNY ROLLS WITH INDIAN HEAD CENTS SHOWING! OLD ESTATE US COIN COLLECTION!$11.9549 sold
- 2017 S Lincoln Shield Cent Gem Deep Cameo Proof Penny$7.9537 sold
Got one to sell?
Get it in front of 160+ million buyers.
Make an Offer
- 1875 Indian Head Penny U.S. Mint Philadelphia mint 1C Cent #706$19.00Free shippingMake Offer
- 1940-P 1C LINCOLN CENT NGC MS66 RD - BEAUTIFUL COLOR$14.50Free shippingMake Offer
- 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent Penny NGC Uncircuated Bandera Bank Hoard$43.95Free shippingMake Offer
Despite a name that might be unfamiliar to some, numismatics (or coin collecting) is one of the most popular forms of collecting in the world. Numismatists typically have many, many different types of coins in their collections, and one of these groupings is US small cents. These small but common coins come in many iterations and serve as welcome additions to any collection.
Defining US Small Cents
“Small cents” is the terminology used to classify a range of different coins that many most likely are more familiar calling “pennies.” The small cent came into prominence in 1856 when it replaced the large cent, which faced numerous problems, including that it cost more to manufacture than it was worth and that its size proved unwieldy for many consumers. The first small cents came to be known as Flying Eagle small cents, and more iterations were created in years to come, including the Lincoln Wheat penny and the Indian Head penny.
Finding the US Small Cent for You
To make browsing for US small cents easier, you can use multiple search options to help you to thin your choices to only those that meet specific criteria. As one option, you can shop by the date that the coin was struck in order to identify specific small cents such as Lincoln Memorial pennies, Flying Eagle small cents, and the more current Lincoln Shield pennies. Collectors who take their hobby very seriously can also limit their choices by certification or grade.
Small Cents Make a Large Gift
Small cents can also make very thoughtful gifts. When you have friends or family members in your life who are enthusiastic about coins, helping them to add specific small cents to their coin reserves is a gesture that’s sure to garner appreciation. And there’s nothing that says that you can’t treat yourself to a few small cents as a way to either start or add to your own collection.
American History in Your Collection
When you’re looking for a heartfelt gift for a loved one who’s a coin enthusiast or are looking to grow your own new or existing coin collection, it’s easy to find the exact coins that you’re looking for amongst a wider inventory than you might see at a local coin dealer. Small cents make both an excellent addition to a coin collection, as well as provide you with a tangible piece of American history.