Ford Mustang Trunk Lids and Parts
The Ford Mustang and convertible model are timeless vehicles made by the Ford Motor Company, and the cars have been in continuous production since 1965. The sporty styling, alloy wheels, and powerful engines of the coupes and convertibles inspired many other sports cars, and the Mustang became an icon among car enthusiasts. After years of driving your Ford Mustang coupe or convertible, you may need to replace the lid, lock, or other components of its trunk space.What are the features of Mustang trunk lids and parts?
The quality of these pieces shows through some of the following features:
- Resistance to rust and corrosion: The actuator latches, lids, and seals are designed to resist rust and corrosion from exposure to splashes when you drive in puddles, rain, and frozen precipitation. They are also designed to resist degradation from the sun's ultraviolet radiation.
- Keyless entry with the remote key fob: The actuator latch for the rear of the convertible allows you to open it with the push of a button on your key fob. This feature is available on the fifth generation of the automobiles.
- Keyhole for locking and unlocking: For fourth-generation and earlier versions of the convertibles, the actuator fastener opens and locks with the use of a key that is cut to fit the specific keyhole of your automobile. The keyhole is protected by a plastic covering that helps to keep moisture, dirt, and dust out of the opening.
Below are a few details and specs to keep in mind when exploring the available options:
- Select the model year of your Mustang convertible or compact: Different generations and years of production have different colors, sizes, and styles of cargo lids, seals, carpets, and latches.
- Choose individual components or a kit: Select an individual component, such as an actuator latch, or an entire assembly to protect the storage compartment in the rear of the vehicle. There are also individual bumpers, seals, and handles for the trunk.
- Select the exterior color and trim level: Choose the trim level of your Mustang convertible or roadster. For a trunk hood, select the color of exterior paint on the automobile so that you can achieve a perfect color match.
A stuck or broken key, rust, or corrosion might necessitate that you replace the locking system of your trunk hood. To do this, you will need to remove the old unit. For a stuck mechanism, use a drill with a metal bit to release it. Access the interior panel behind the lock mechanism in the trunk space. Use a screwdriver to remove the plastic panel. You may also need to lift out part of the carpeting. Remove the four bolts that position the striker plate to the steel auto body. Remove the plate. Use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove the four screws holding the mechanism's cylinder in place. Pull out the mechanism from the exterior side of the Mustang. Release the cylinder's pin. Install the new cylinder in the housing, and replace the mechanism into the panel, reattaching all of the fasteners.