The North Face
Whether you're going on a through-hike across the Appalachian Trail, running a mountain stage race, or heading out for a fun day hike, you'll need equipment. Keeping dry and warm will be key. Jackets and gear by The North Face are designed to meet a variety of needs.What North Face jackets are suitable for cold weather?
Hiking in cold weather can be tricky. Hikers need to balance convenience and warmth with weight. Durability is another important factor. Research the weather forecast before you go on your trip and know what kind of cold weather to expect.
- Down: The classic North Face down coat offers a balance of warmth to weight. Down is warm and light and can be compressed down to take up less room in a pack.
- Fleece: North Face fleece pullovers or zip-ups are are suitable when the weather is just chilly. As an added layer under down or under a shell, fleece jackets can help keep you warm.
- Rain or Wind Shell: If you're heading out in rainy conditions or you expect snow and wind, it's important to suit up with an outer shell that keeps you dry and cuts the wind.
Depending on an individual person's needs, either a North Face down or synthetic would be an appropriate choice. Even with recent improvements in synthetic insulation for winter coats, down often still has a better warmth-to-weight ratio. However, down may not be suitable for wet conditions. Here are some other options:
- Down: For running, fastpacking, ultralight hiking, or events where weight is crucial, a North Face down coat should be one to consider as it is light and warm. However, down will not retain heat when wet.
- Synthetic: For recreational camping, daily wear in winter, or day hiking, the weight of a North Face coat may be less important than effectiveness. North Face synthetics like Primaloft and Thermoball, almost as light as down, work to retain heat even when wet.
All raincoats almost always involve a degree of compromise between breathability and water permeability. In other words, a jacket that repels all water might become uncomfortably hot and sweaty to wear. When considering a North Face jacket, it's important to look for one that hits the ideal zone for you. Breathable fabric rain shells, which often include heat-releasing armpit zips, may eventually let in moisture in a hard or prolonged storm.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by North Face.