Everything You Should Know About Technics 1200 Turntables
Technics turntables are used by audiophiles, music producers, and DJs alike. The Technics SL-1200 line is used by turntablists and DJs around the world due to its durability and reliability on stage. There are multiple 1200 models to choose from on eBay, each with different features and specifications to match certain needs.What types of affordable Technics 1200 turntables are there?
A wide range of Technics 1200 models are available, as the line has almost continuously been in production since 1972. Some of the most commonly available Technics 1200 turntable models available are:
- SL-1200MK7: After production of the 1200s resumed in 2016, Panasonic and Technics produced a new DJ-specific model, the 1200MK7. This turntable offers new DJ features like reverse playback and a coreless motor for smoother direct drive to the platter.
- SL-1200MK5: The final 1200 model to include analog pitch control was the MK5. This Technics turntable increased the quality of mixing for DJs, delivering nearly doubled anti-skate capabilities and improved LED lighting for DJs to be able to see the turntable in dark club settings.
- SL-1200G: This offering from Technics is geared toward audiophiles instead of DJs. Also known as the Grand Class 1200, this turntable utilizes a microprocessing chip and 78 rpm compatibility for newer records. These models feature high-quality audio as the damping arm and materials used allow for a flat response and balanced output.
There are a few essential features that will help you decide which turntable model to get:
- Anti-skip features: During DJ sessions, vibration from bass and sub-bass frequencies can cause the needle to skip out of a record's groove, so it's important to select a model that has anti-skip and anti-skate capabilities.
- Solid tonearm mounting: Turntable needles need to stay in place to output audio correctly, so it's essential that the tonearm always remains in place via stable engineering so that audio output remains steady.
- Material durability: Newer models use specialty alloys that maintain high performance standards through continual use.
Early Technics 1200 models are only able to run 33 or 45 rpm records. After the MK4 models, all Technics 1200 models have the ability to run 33, 45, and 78 rpm records. Earlier models can also be modified to run at the higher rpm.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Technics.