Tea dresses can be worn for many occasions such as a day out with friends, a work event or even a wedding. To be considered tea length, this dress is one whose hemline hits below the knee and about 3 to 4 inches above the ankle, near the mid calf.
What occasion should a tea dress be worn?
- Dressy daytime affairs - A tea dress is perfect for a graduation ceremony, a fancy luncheon or perhaps a daytime wedding reception. Many casual brides actually choose tea length wedding dresses or classic tea length lace wedding dresses for their special day instead of the traditional floor length white gown.
- Evening occasions - The shorter hemline on the tea dress will accommodate a night out of dancing which is why some choose this type of dress for their prom. When heading to a fancier evening party, a white tea length dress is also an easy option instead of a ballgown when opting for a more casual look.
- Outdoor occasions - A vintage tea dress would be perfect for an outdoor summer party, polo match or horse race since it is considered more fancy than a shift dress but more comfortable than a maxi dress.
What are popular prints available on tea dresses?
- Floral - Floral prints in tea length dresses are typical for the spring and fall months, when the season’s colors are at their most vibrant and these prints tend to be most popular.
- Solid - Often the style of choice for more casual occasions, solid colored tea dresses are typically worn for a daytime affair such as a graduation ceremony or luncheon with friends.
- Polka dot - Inspired by the 1950's, the polka dot print vintage tea dress is a popular choice for both millennials and baby boomers alike.
What accessories pair well with a tea dress?
- Jewelry - Since tea dresses tend to speak for themselves, especially with a bold floral pattern, choose simple jewelry to pair with the dress, like a simple necklace or stud earrings.
- Tea hats - Tea hats are the ultimate accessory to pair with a tea length dress. These hats are wide brimmed and are generally garnished with feathers, flowers or bows. When heading out to the next polo match or horse race, complete the outfit with a hat fit for the Kentucky derby.
- Heels or flats - The last item to pick to complete the look is either heels or flats. Heels are typically chosen for a fancier occasion while flats can be worn day or night for a more casual feel.