Sterling Silver Fine Jewelry
Sterling silver consists of 92.5% silver and 7.5% of another metal that is normally copper. Since silver by itself is very soft, the combination is used to make fine jewelry that is much stronger. If you are looking for sterling silver fine jewelry, then you may have some questions.What types of jewelry are made with sterling silver?
There are many different types of silver jewelry including:
- Rings: Gemstone, diamond, pearl, and many other ring styles may all be available.
- Earrings: Hoop, stud, drop, and many other earring styles might be available.
- Necklaces: Choose from necklace styles such as curb, Figaro, rope, wheat, and many others.
- Bracelets: Cuff, link, bangle, and many other bracelet styles may be available options.
- Brooches and pins: Hummingbirds, angels, trees, and so many other brooch and pin styles might be available.
Designers have used a variety of gemstones on sterling silver jewelry, including:
- Amethyst: This gemstone ranging from pale lilac to deep purple can come from a range of countries including Australia, Brazil, Uruguay, Bolivia, Argentina, and numerous African countries.
- Diamond: This almost colorless stone can come from a variety of countries such as Russia, India, and many African countries.
- Emerald: This green to bluish-green gemstone can come from Brazil, Pakistan, Russia, East Africa, India, Madagascar, or Columbia.
- Pearl: While natural pearls are white, they can be dyed a variety of colors, and they often come from Japan, China, Tahiti, Australia, Indonesia, or the Philippines.
- Peridot: This gemstone can vary in color from yellow-green to brownish green, and it often comes from Myanmar, Egypt, China, Sri Lanka, or Pakistan.
- Ruby: Ranging from a pinkish red to a deep red, this gemstone mostly comes from India, East African countries, or the United States.
- Sapphire: While most sapphires are blue, other colors are possible including pink, purple, orange, yellow, green, and black. Most sapphires come from Brazil, Tanzania, Sri Lanka, Kashmir, Thailand, Madagascar, or Australia.
- Tanzanite: Heat is used to enhance the colors of this gemstone. Colors can include blue, brown, yellow, and green, with most coming from Tanzania.
- Topaz: Many different colors of topaz are possible including yellow, blue, pink, peach, gold, green, red, and brown. This gemstone often comes from Russia, Siberia, Brazil, and Sri Lanka.
- Turquoise: This blue to bluish-green gemstone mainly comes from the United States, Iran, Australia, Tibet, or China.
The process of buying sterling silver fine jewelry can be complicated with so many possibilities. Following some guidelines might help.
- Select a category: Necklaces, earrings, rings, and more are available.
- Select a style: From antique to ultra-modern, many different choices are available.
- Select the desired gemstone: While not all sterling silver jewelry has gemstones, if you want your item to have one or more, you'll need to shop accordingly.
- Select a size: Many different sizes are available in most sterling silver jewelry. Making sure ring size in particular is correct is an important part of the selection process.
- Select an item: By now, you have narrowed down your list considerably, now make a final selection.