Spa & Hot Tub Covers
Finding the right cover for your spa or hot tub is essential. A good cover protects your investment and keeps your tub running well for years to come. As you might expect, some spa or hot tub covers might be better for your needs than others.What is a spa cover?
Hot tub covers are used to protect your spa from leaves, branches, and other debris that can fall into the water. The spa cover also protects the top of the spa from becoming damaged in extreme weather, such as a hurricane or heavy winter storm. If you have children or pets, a hot tub cover can prevent them from accessing the spa without supervision.What types of spa covers should you look for?
You should look for a hot tub cover that has the right foam density, locks, and vinyl thickness for your needs. You may also want to pick a color or pattern that matches your outside décor. There are several brands of hot tub covers.
- Select a density: You should look for hot tub covers with a foam core that will withstand both daily and extreme weather conditions. The cover should also be able to hold up if a child or pet falls onto it.
- Choose locking straps: Locking straps on hot tub covers can prevent children from accessing the hot tub without adult supervision. They can also prevent backyard animals from climbing into the tub.
- Select a skin: Marine-grade vinyl skins go on the exterior of the cover to prevent fading and discoloration.
- Color: Spa covers come in a range of colors and patterns to blend well with the setting of the tub.
- Choose a brand: These include Catalina, Jacuzzi, and Sundance.
How often you should get a replacement hot tub cover depends on where you live. If you live in a northern climate, you may need to replace it every three to five years. In southern climates, hot tub covers typically only need to be replaced every three to seven years.
There are also several indications that it may be time for a replacement cover:
- There are rips or tears in the exterior skin.
- There is discoloration from mold or mildew. Check the underside, too.
- If the cover is too heavy to lift, this is an indication it is taking on moisture and losing the ability to provide proper heat insulation for your spa.
- Hot tub covers need to have properly working lock bands to preserve the safety of the spa. If the bands are broken or cracked, you may want to get a replacement spa cover.
Catalina Spas is a manufacturer of spas. They also make spa covers that are made of marine-grade vinyl and that can be fitted around a steel frame. Locks are included on the cover skirt so as to attach securely to the tub.