Chevrolet Impala Shift Knobs and Boots
Every trip in your Chevrolet Impala, no matter how short or long, begins with a simple shift into "Drive." As a proud Chevrolet Impala owner, even this quick act can be something special. To give that moment a little more excitement, you can customize your Chevrolet Impala's gearshift with a custom knob or boot.What types of shift knobs are available for an Impala?
A Chevrolet knob is easily customizable due to its easy access and universal connectors. There are plenty of knobs tochoose from for your Chevrolet Impala, including:
- Standard: This type provides all the quality functionality you'd expect from the trusted Chevrolet Impala marquis.
- Wooden: Add a touch of timeless style to your Impala by incorporating wood elements in the form a wooden knob.
- Carbon Fiber: Add a rugged and industrial look to your vehicle's gearshift with a carbon fiber knob.
- Skull: If you have a standard transmission, you can add a one-of-a-kind skull knob in the color of your choice.
- Blacked-out: Also for standard transmission vehicles, you can get a knob that's black with red lettering, providing an instant sporty upgrade to your vehicle.
Classic black leather looks abound and are available from a number of OEM and aftermarket Chevrolet parts manufacturers. If you do need to replace your Chevrolet's boot, this is a general outline of how you do it.
- Remove the knob and nut holding down the boot.
- Pop the boot frame out of the holder, then remove the boot from the frame.
- Install the new Chevrolet boot on the old boot frame, using the means recommended by the boot manufacturer.
- Pop the boot frame back into place.
- Finally, replace the boot nut, the knob, and then test for proper operation.
Chevrolet knobs are available from a variety of manufacturers. There are always original equipment manufacturer models if all you need to do is restore the original functionality of a broken knob on your Chevy. Of course, as mentioned, knobs are also manufactured by numerous aftermarket companies who provide a variety of different styles. While knob fit should be fairly universal, do check for compatibility with your specific Chevrolet model year.How do you install a new Impala shift knob?
Replacing your knob is a simple project you can complete on your Impala, and it doesn't require any tools. For a manual Chevrolet model, you only have to unscrew the old knob and put the new one on. The following is the procedure for a Chevrolet automatic transaxle knob.
- Slide down the trim piece attached to the knob.
- Loosen the set screw holding the knob in place.
- Pull up on and remove the knob and attached trim piece.
- Position the new knob on the gearshift lever and replace the set screw.
- Finally, snap the trim piece into place, and test for proper operation.