Buying Guide: Sailboats 20 to 27 Feet
Buying a sailboat is a multi-step process. You must consider what for, where, how often, how long, and by how many people your sailboat will be used in order to find the right sailboat for your needs.How many categories and types of sailboats are there?
There are five main categories of sailboats:
- Dinghy – Dinghies are small sailboats that are commonly less than 15 feet long and usually around 8 feet and are often used to teach the basics of sailing.
- Mono-hull – Sailboats with one hull that range from 10 to more than 100 feet in length are known as mono-hull sailboats.
- Multi-hull – Sailboats with two hulls are called catamarans, and trimarans have three hulls. Both vary in size from small to massive and are increasingly popular because of their stability and plentiful living areas available on larger multi-hulls.
- Motor sailer – Commonly 35 feet or larger, motorsailers feature extravagant accommodations and engines onboard. Sailing speed is reduced due to the engine and gas weight.
- Cruising or racing sailboats – Both of these are meant for extended voyages and feature living space. Because racing sailboats are built for speed, they include minimal accommodations to keep the weight of the boat down. Cruising boats offer more living space with standing headroom below deck on boats of 26 feet or more.
See the following list of things to consider when buying an affordable sailboat:
- Where you’ll be sailing – Do you need a new or used sailboat suited for shallow or deep waters? Will the sailboat set sail via a boatyard or need to be hitched to a trailer?
- Type of use – Will your sailboat be used for short day trips, weekend adventures, or longer voyages? Make sure the bunk, bathroom/shower, and cooking area accommodations meet your needs.
- New or used – When buying a new sailboat you pay for the convenience of saving time and money on immediate repairs. However, buying a used sailboat is often more affordable. You can find a variety of reasonably priced used sailboats on eBay.
You can buy almost anything on eBay, including sailboats made by reputable and popular brands. You can find the following well-known and reputable brands of sailboats on eBay:
- Catalina – This US boat-building company is one of the largest in the world. They are best known for their mid-size cruising sailboats and specialize in building mono-hull sailboats from 8 to 47 feet long, using fiberglass. Used Catalina brand sailboats are available on eBay at competitive prices.
- Hunter – Used sailboats by this American boat builder’s brand are available on eBay at fairly inexpensive prices.
- J/22 – This is a popular brand of international racing sailboats that manufactures one fixed-keel design sailboat that is widely used for sailboat racing teams of three to four individuals.
- MacGregor – There are a variety of sizes and styles of these American-made cruising sailboats for sale on eBay.
- O’ Day – Used O’ Day sailboats, created by world champion American Olympic sailor George O’ Day, are available on eBay.