A streaming media device, such as the Roku, allows you to stream visual entertainment directly to your television. Streaming devices offer a broad range of audio and video options. However, to ensure compatibility with your TV, there are several considerations you should keep in mind when shopping for this device.Is Roku TV different than a streaming Roku?
Unlike a traditional television, which connects to this service through an external component, a Roku TV offers the functionality of this system without having to plug in or configure a third party unit. Commonly found in smart TVs, Roku TV only requires an internet connection and a designated remote. This differs from the external version, which not only requires a Roku-specific remote, but also the external receiver. Almost every smart TV offers connectivity to this platform. You may need to purchase the remote separately.What different types of Roku are available?
Not including the built-in Roku TV, there are five versions available. Each product model offers a unique set of features and is designed based on your TV connection options. Regardless of version, you’ll have access to the entire library of video content.
- Express is designed to connect via an HDMI connection and supports up to 60 fps at 1080 HD resolution.
- Express + is an upgraded model manufactured to work with older television sets. It connects not only via an HDMI port but also with A/V cable composite ports.
- Streaming Stick models are compact and connect via a standard HDMI port. It is around the same size as a standard USB storage plug, and unlike the previous versions, supports Voice Search.
- Streaming Stick+ supports 4K HD images via its HDCP 2.2 HDMI port. Along with the standard features offered by its predecessor, the Stick+ delivers advanced wireless receiving technology and HDR support.
- Ultra delivers quad-core processing, enhanced wireless receiver, and even a lost remote finder option.
Along with The Roku Channel, which offers completely free access to a growing library of Hollywood movies, you’ll have immediate access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes via a collection of apps. Unlike traditional cable and satellite offerings, this advanced entertainment network delivers over 5,000 television channels. Both subscription-based app channels, such as Netflix, and local network affiliates are available.Are channels free or is a subscription required?
There is both free and subscription content available. Free TV shows and movies are found in the Channel Store, while a variety of paid apps deliver even more video and music options, such as Netflix and Pandora.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Roku.