Queen Duvet Covers and Bedding Sets
Duvet covers and bedding sets are designed for both comfort and decorative purposes in your bedroom. Choosing the right bedding for your queen-sized bed is particularly important when you consider that the average person spends one-third of his or her life asleep, usually under the covers of a bed. Here are some things to keep in mind if you're looking for a duvet cover set for a queen-sized bed.What are the differences between comforters, duvets, and quilts?
- A comforter is a bed cover filled with down, wool, or synthetic filler. The fabric may be a solid color or print like a floral or stripe, but it is always decorative because a comforter is meant to cover the bed and be the outermost layer of your bedding.
- A duvet cover is constructed like a comforter. A duvet goes inside a duvet cover, which acts as a protective casing for the duvet, similar to a pillowcase. A duvet cover can also be decorative and may be made with a colored or print fabric. A duvet cover set typically includes a duvet cover and a pair of pillow shams, which are decorative cases for pillows.
- A quilt is a padded bed covering made of several pieces of fabric stitched together in a decorative design.
The dimensions of a standard queen mattress are 60 inches by 80 inches, so most queen-size bed covers measure approximately 86 inches by 94 inches. A duvet cover labeled as full/queen measures approximately 88 inches by 88 inches. Because pillows also come in different sizes, dimensions of pillow shams are important, too. A standard-size pillow is 20 inches by 26 inches, while a king-sized pillow is 20 inches by 36 inches.What fabrics are used for bedding sets?
- Cotton is a material that’s often used in bedding. Upland cotton is a good material choice for crisp everyday sheets, while Pima or Egyptian cotton produces bedding that is softer to the touch. Cotton jersey bedclothes feel like a T-shirt fabric with more elasticity to it. Cotton sateen, another fabric made of cotton fibers, has more shine to it.
- Linen is a breathable fabric that has a greater permeability for heat to exit through it. Linen is slightly rough to the touch.
- Silk bedding is smooth and cool to the touch. Silk is made from very fine threads and gives a texture that is fine and is commonly used for the decorative elements of the bedding.