Information on Inboard Diesel Perkins Engines
Perkins Engines makes complete motors for a wide range of watercraft with different applications and features that you can find throughout the listings on eBay. The quality of these diesel engines is born out of the company's 85 years of experience in designing, building, and improving upon marine engines used in every conceivable way on the water. The high-quality and some of the features listed below make Perkins engines a great choice to install into your inboard watercraft.What are some of the features of Perkins engines?
There are a lot of different styles and designs available through Perkins, but they are all built with certain features that make them a recognized name in the industry. Here is a list of some of the things you can look forward to when you purchase a Perkins diesel engine.
- Efficiency: The diesel engines are designed to be fuel efficient, have longer periods between regular service, and affordable OEM repair parts to help make Perkins motors relatively inexpensive to maintain throughout their life.
- Physical dimensions: Physical dimensions are kept as small as possible so the engine will fit into even the most compact compartments.
- Pollution control: Every Perkins engine has noise and emission reduction features to keep pollution to a minimum.
- Sustained power and torque: Sustained power and torque at low RPMs means less stress on the motor that also means fewer repairs.
- Fuel efficiency: Common rail direct fuel injection that uses a high-pressure delivery system that increases fuel efficiency.
Perkins engines come with 3, 4, or 6 cylinders. They are very compact, compliant with stage IIIA/Tier 3 equivalent emissions standards, and have an excellent power-to-weight ratio making them perfect for personal cruisers, speedboats, and luxury yachts as well as heavy commercial craft like tugboats and ferries. There are also smaller auxiliary diesel engines so you can have a reliable backup in case of emergency. If your boat has an inboard engine, then there is a Perkins motor that will fit in it.What are some common diesel engine repairs?
As with any motor, if you neglect routine maintenance or don't make timely repairs, then major problems can occur, some of which are listed here:
- Oxidized oil: It can occur if your boat doesn't run frequently or doesn't get winterized in the off-season.
- Heavy black exhaust smoke: It can be a symptom of a bad fuel injector, injector pump, or air filter.
- Difficulty starting up: There could be an issue with fuel delivery, compression difficulties, or the starter solenoids.