Onan Diesel Generators
Generators can provide electricity to homes and businesses during power outages or can be used to supply power to an RV. For those considering a purchase, there is an array of diesel generators to choose from. Onan Diesel Generators include both cooling and intake components and are fully enclosed systems.What are continuous, standby, and prime power ratings?
- Prime power means that a generator can serve as a primary electricity source and not just a backup source. In situations where a utility source is unavailable for a period of time, a prime-power-rated generator will be able to supply electricity. This is normally the kind of generator used in industrial applications and remote areas.
- Standby power is used in emergency situations during an outage. It is recommended for applications that have alternative and continuous electricity sources. It is also used during times of maintenance or testing, as well as during a brief electricity outage.
- Continuous power is similar to prime but has a base-load grade. It can continuously supply electricity at a constant load. It is less appropriate for variable loads.
Determining the right size of diesel generator to purchase involves various considerations and factors.
- Look at the daily rate of power usage for your building.
- Consider what appliances you want to use. If you only want to run your refrigerator and a few light switches, for example, you can get away with a smaller generator than you would need if you wanted to run power for your whole house or run an A/C unit or a furnace.
- Consider the length of your average power outage. Larger generators can run longer between fuel refills than smaller generators.
It's possible. The need to parallel Onan generators comes about as a result of either capacity requirements or redundancy. By paralleling, you join generators using electricity. This combines the electricity output of both generators. To parallel different models, take into consideration the design, regulator design, and engine configuration.What is the role of an automatic-transfer switch?
The automatic-transfer switch (ATS) allows for the transfer of electricity from a utility to an emergency source. The ATS is able to sense an electricity interruption on the line and signals the engine of the generator to start. Upon restoration of the standard source of electricity, the generator shuts down. The ATS can most often be found in areas such as manufacturing plants, data centers, and telecommunication networks.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Onan.