What M Rated Games Are Available For the Nintendo 64?
The Nintendo 64 is a video game console released in 1996. N64 games offer a wide range of video games for all ages, including mature games aimed at an older audience, and with a number of different genres.
What Genres of Games Are There?
Genres covered are fairly extensive for mature-rated console games, so there's always something to play.
- Action Platformer: These games often have a third-person perspective, and focus on running and jumping through a large world to access new areas and defeat enemies. An example of a mature game in this genre is Conker's Bad Fur Day. Conker the squirrel must face off against villains such as the Panther King, Count Batula, and Don Weaso and his Weasel Guard.
- First-Person Shooter: Players see from the character's viewpoint, and must navigate levels and defeat enemies. Many different FPS games for the N64 have a mature rating. Two examples are Duke Nukem 64, which is a part of the popular Duke Nukem game on PC, and Turok 2. Duke Nukem is quite similar to Doom, the quintessential FPS, but differs in that the main character actually speaks. Turok is a sci-fi game about the titular dinosaur hunter and his adventures through time and space.
- Fighting Games: Fighting games are often co-op, although most have single-player modes as well. Players control one of two fighters, who do battle with a variety of combo moves. A well-known example of the fighting game genre is Mortal Kombat. The Mortal Kombat games have long been synonymous with violence, and Kombat 4 for the N64 was no exception. These games are based around the eponymous tournament, where the losers are regularly subjected to fatalities, finishing moves of great brutality that are shown with cinematic glee.
- Action Adventure: This genre is less focused on jumping and movement than platformers, and less focused on action than FPS games. Instead, story and exploration are the key points. A great example of this genre is Eternal Darkness. The protagonist must unlock ancient and terrible secrets in order to stop one of three Elder Gods from emerging into our world. Other examples include Metroid Prime and Shadow Man.
- Survival Horror: This genre is similar to FPS or adventure games, but the primary gameplay difference is that the player must be extremely careful, as ammunition and health pickups are scarce, and monsters, while less common, are more dangerous. The definitive survival horror series is Resident Evil. Resident Evil 2 is available for the N64 and is based in Raccoon City, which has been overwhelmed by a zombie virus. Players must fight against the hordes of mutants and zombies to survive and discover what is going on in the city. The horror imagery and intense survival atmosphere is what earns this game an M rating.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo.