Getting a Clear View with a Pair of Binoculars
Are you a nature watcher? A keen traveler? A regular at stadium events? A tramper or hiker? An outdoor hunter? In any of these sport, leisure, or entertainment situations, a pair of binoculars by your side can help with getting a good look at the action and bringing the horizon a little closer.
What Does This Brand Offer?
Nikon has an extensive collection of different types of binoculars to suit many indoor and outdoor purposes and field of vision requirements.
- Sizes: Sizes range from small and compact to fit nicely in your hand or bag, to mid and full size for broader outdoor use.
- Magnification: Depending on model, these range from 7x to 24x.
- Objective Size: The effective size of the lens frames varies from 25mm to 70mm.
What Are the Different Types of Prism Binoculars?
Binoculars use three different types of optics and internal structures to magnify and reflect what you are viewing. The three types of optics used are usually either:
- Porro Prism: Named after the inventor, Porro prism binoculars use all the internal surfaces to reflect light. The optical path inside the binoculars is shaped like a letter Z.
- Dach Prism: Dach means "roof" in German. In this type, light reflects off the roof of the binoculars and then around the optical path. Because of this design, the overall size of this type of prism binocular can be smaller.
- Galilean: The design of this type of binoculars is based on the inventor of the original twist-up telescope, Galileo, using concave and convex lenses.
What Other Features Should Be Considered?
Where and when you intend to use your binoculars may determine the other features and accessories to look for when you are choosing a pair. Some of these may include:
- Waterproofing: If you are likely to be anywhere outdoors where you might catch yourself in a shower of rain, or splashed by water, it is always a good idea to find a design that is waterproof. Some models also feature multicoating, fog proof lens coating protection to keep your field of vision clear.
- Portability: If you will be carrying your binoculars with other gear, look for a size that is portable enough for you to carry with any other equipment and still get the magnification and field of vision you want.
- Security: Attached neck straps are excellent for ensuring you don't accidentally drop your binoculars, or waste valuable time trying to find them if you suddenly sight something you want to get a closer look at. Straps can come in various thicknesses with extra neck padding for comfort.
- Grip: Some models have multi-coated exteriors that include rubber in the material composition to improve your grip and handling of your binoculars.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Nikon.