How to Select Motorola VHF Walkie Talkies and Two-Way Radios
Kids love playing with walkie-talkies, but they're not just toys. Grown-ups use them for a variety of reasons, and Motorola offers numerous styles of VHF-frequency two-way radios to provide communication solutions in several applications. Selecting the right radio means considering the available types as well as the features offered by the assorted radio styles.
What Are Some Types of Radios?
Motorola offers several types of two-way radios and picking the right one depends on your specific needs and use for the device.
- Handheld, digital two-way radios are portable. They're compact, lightweight, and pocket-sized to take with you just about anywhere. You can buy them separately or in pairs or sets, and they keep you connected in just about any situation.
- In-vehicle two-way radios are radios you install inside your car for mobile use. This is a one way to communicate with other vehicles, and these types of radios are used by truck drivers and law enforcement.
- Base stations are the base of operations for your two-way radio. This control station lets you contact everyone holding a portable unit and may be used by a dispatcher.
What Are Some Features of Two-Way Radios?
Aside from the obvious wireless component of two-way radios, there are other features that make these radios convenient to use on the go. User-friendly and compact, they also require little effort to carry when you're on a job site or out in the field.
- The brand's two-way radios are meant for heavy-duty use. Made from sturdy materials, these digital radios are drop-resistant, and some are weather-resistant and even water-submersible.
- Push-to-talk access is an efficient way to send transmissions, but if you want to avoid accidentally hitting a button, the keypad lock prevents that from happening.
- Two-way radios that are portable have a long battery life. In some cases, it can be up to 12 hours before the radios need a recharge, and many models offer a wide range of coverage of up to 200,000 square feet in some models.
Why Would You Use Two-Way Radios?
Maybe the last time you used a two-way radio was when you were letting your little brother know that Mom was pulling into the driveway, so he'd better clean up. Today, there are more sophisticated reasons to use this type of radio.
- Radios are used in hospitals to transmit information between staff members, such as nurses, doctors, and paramedics to prepare for incoming patients that require immediate or emergency care.
- Store clerks use them to communicate with each other on a regular basis.
- Security guards and police officers use these communication devices frequently when time is of the essence and there's no time to pick up a phone and dial since two-way radios are quick and instant communication tools.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Motorola.