Jeep Cherokee Motor Mounts
Isolate vibration, increase durability, and improve handling with the simple addition of the right Jeep Cherokee motor mounts. Motor support varieties include hard, liquid-filled, and polyurethane. Each type has its benefits and will serve your Cherokee well for the long term if you replace and maintain them on regular schedules.What are the main kinds of Cherokee motor mounts?
Motor mounts perform important jobs for your engine, your transmission, and you. Their main mission is to minimize shakes and shimmies from Jeep engine motions. They generally accomplish this mission by inserting themselves between the engine and the frame of your Jeep SUV, thereby isolating the one from the other. The main kinds of Jeep Cherokee motor-supports include the following:
- Solid mounts - Made from mostly solid pieces of alloys, solid mounts provide engine isolation while promoting high performance.
- Rubberized supports - Made from hardened, durable rubbers, these members of the support crew provide flexible support and guidance. Their relative softness helps them to cancel out shakes and shimmies.
- Hydraulic supports - Made from rubberized materials with vibration-dampening liquids inside, hydro designs provide slightly more stiffness than pure rubberized.
- Hydraulic adaptive - Composed of various materials, adaptive designs allow drivers to adjust the stiffness and other characteristics of their supports. This is usually done with the help of vacuums, pumps, or agitators.
- Polyurethane - These supports lie somewhere between rubber and solid supports on the motor-support stiffness spectrum. This feature makes them useful in performance vehicles.
- Torsional dampers - The major kinds of torsional dampers include viscous and tuned. Viscous designs use thick fluids for damping, while tuned models "tune out" shimmies that occur at specific speeds. These members connect to one end of your crankshaft. By using rubberized materials, torsional dampers reduce torsional and axial vibrations. If left to their own devices, axial and torsional tremors can do serious damage to sensitive and important parts, so it is important to include this unobtrusive component in your replacement list.
- Magnetic adaptive - Also made from a variety of components, magnetic adaptive models include fluids that change their viscosity when exposed to electromagnetic fields. This trait gives them many of the same benefits as hydro-adaptive designs.
- Struts - Sometimes called "upper mounts," these devices secure and isolate upper portions of your Jeep SUV motor.
- Rear support - Numbering one or more, these supports help to secure and isolate the rear portions of your motor and crankshafts.
The main difference between original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and aftermarket pieces is that aftermarket components weren’t necessarily designed according to the original design specifications of your components.Can you get heavy-duty supports for your SUV?
Certainly. The Jeep SUV lives for off-roading and challenging trails. To this end, you can choose supports and support equipment that is more robust than the average. If you take careful note of your existing design characteristics by studying your user manual, you stand a decent chance of selecting components with the proper compatibilities.