Ford Focus Motor Mounts
Adapt your Ford Focus vehicle to your driving habits with the help of engine-supporting motor mounts. Built from a variety of durable substances, Ford Focus motor mounts keep your powertrain in place and keep vibrations away from you. As such, keeping your mounts in good shape is a good investment in the health of your Focus.What are some common applications for Ford motor mounts?
As a Ford Focus driver, you have access to a wide selection of motor supports. The support system that you choose depends upon the way you drive and the intended use of our car.
- Solid metal supports: As their name suggests, these supports include durable metals in their designs. The metal cores give solid support, high levels of strength, and stiffness. This keeps your motor firmly in place during hard maneuvering and can help your motor produce torque.
- Rubber supports: Composed of solid, tough rubber cores surrounded by metal cappings, these members of the support family see wide use because of their durability and adaptability. While they work well for moderate daily driving, off-road use of your Focus may strain their capabilities.
- Fluid filled: In the next generation up from solid-rubber engine mounts are fluid-filled supports. These include rubber outer layers that enclose and seal in shock-absorbing fluids.
- Polyurethane: Poly supports bridge the gap between metal and rubber designs. Sports car enthusiasts and anyone who craves improved handling and reduced engine movement appreciate the charms of poly supports.
- Active mounts: Active motor supports take the hydro cell idea to another level. Computer controllers use active sensors to change the stiffness levels of these cells. This instant adaptability gives you the best of both worlds in terms of comfort and control.
While both designs include internal fluids that alter viscosity, the nature of the fluids and the control methods are different. Hydraulic models generally use a vacuum, solenoids, or other means to change the stiffness levels of the support. Dynamic models, on the other hand, use magnet-sensitive fluids as their stiffness modifiers. Onboard computers exercise close control over magnetic fields that surround the supports, which allows a moment-to-moment control over fluid thickness and thus support stiffness.How many Ford Focus motor mounts will you need?
This depends on the specific model and trim of your Ford Focus. That said, in general, most Focus models require from two to four mounts, including struts. In addition, you may need to obtain transmission mounts, which perform the same function as motor supports but in service of the transmission.Does your Focus engine type affect motor mount selection?
Models made in the same year may need different kinds of engine mounts if they have different engine sizes. As always, it pays to take close notes about your specific part numbers, which you can find in your Focus service manual.How long should motor mounts last?
This depends on the kind of mount, how you drive, and other uncontrollable factors. That said, most mounts last from 50,000 to 100,000 miles before replacement is necessary, although any given support may last much longer than that.