How to Select a Wide Angle Lens
A wide angle lens can help you capture images that include more of a scene in a single shot. These lenses are compatible with a wide array of different mounts and brands. They can also be used with several different focus types that include autofocus, manual focus, and a combination of the two modes.Which camera types can these lenses be used with?
Wide angle lenses work with the following cameras:
- Camcorder: This is a video camera that is meant to capture videos in such resolutions as standard definition and high definition. It is often equipped with a variety of different types of storage, such as cassette tapes or solid state drives.
- Rangefinder: The type of camera that is outfitted with a small rangefinder can assist you in measuring the specific distance from the object you are focusing on to the lens of your device.
- Digital SLR: This is a digital camera that comes with numerous automatic and manual settings while also accommodating interchangeable lenses. These devices can be equipped with either hard drives or memory cards to help record the videos and photos that you capture.
- SLR: This is a type of still camera that is equipped with a variety of manual settings and an electronic viewfinder. These systems use photographic film to capture images, which can come in such sizes as 8-millimeter and 35-millimeter.
- Mirrorless: This is a device that comes with a digital sensor and that can accommodate interchangeable lenses. These devices do not consist of a series of mirrors, which means that they come in compact forms.
This is a type of length that is designed to indicate the exact distance from your lens to the camera sensor. These measurements are commonly displayed in millimeters and can help you identify how much you can zoom in or out on an object. Some wide angle lenses come with fixed focal lengths, which means that there is a single length with the lens. There are also some lenses that are classified as zoom lenses, which means that they are outfitted with a range of focal lengths that you can switch between. The focal lengths available with these lenses range from 8 millimeters to 200 millimeters.What is the maximum aperture of a wide angle lens?
This term refers to the amount of light that the shutter of the lens lets in when you take a photo. Maximum apertures are displayed in small numbers and are designed to let in a large amount of light. Minimum apertures are represented by higher numbers and are meant to let in a small amount of light. The aperture of a lens comes with an f-stop that is followed by a number. The aperture amounts available with these lenses extend from f/1.2 to f/5.6.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Minolta.