Shop by Category
Shop by Type
Hot This Week
- SALE!!! Israel ATM 2010 Knesset Complete Set 8 Values$8.90Almost gone
- OMAN STATE of MINI-SHEET-1977-Airmail WILD BIRDS (CTO) NH OG XF SEE PIC$1.244 left
- ISRAEL 1973 CHAGALL WINDOWS SET MNH$6.996 left
- Israel 2017 JOINT ISSUE W/ CROATIA FLORA BOTH STAMPS WITH TAB FDC$6.996 left
- Israel 2017 JOINT ISSUE W/ CROATIA FLORA STAMP MNH BOTH STAMPS BOTTOM RITE TAB$8.996 left
- Israel 2017 JOINT ISSUE W/ CROATIA FLORA STAMP MNH BOTH STAMPS TOP RITE SIDE TAB$7.997 left
- Israel 1997 Srulik Tete-Beche Sheet Bale IrS45$22.008 left
- ISRAEL 2017 FLORA AROMATIC PLANTS BOOKLET MNH$9.798 left
Got one to sell?
Get it in front of 160+ million buyers.
You May Also Like
Make an Offer
- Saudi Arabia 1934 Souvenir album for the 1934 Cairo UPU Congress$1,950.00Free shippingMake Offer
- Palestine Stamps Mandate Award Winning Collection 1918-1948 1,000's x +$9,525.00Free shippingMake Offer
- Lebanon stamps nice values shown on a sheet CV $80+$13.95Free shippingMake Offer
What Are the Basics of Middle Eastern Stamp Collecting?
The Middle East is an interesting theme for a stamp collection and includes countries like Egypt, Jordan, Qatar, and Lebanon. The available stamps range from modern, inexpensive stamps available in bulk quantities to very rare stamps dating back to the introduction of the postal service in the associated country. Before committing to expensive purchases, new collectors should conduct some research to determine the values of different stamps as well as learn about stamp collecting terminology, such as "hinged," "unhinged," and "block" stamps.
What Is a Hinged Stamp?
Stamp hinges are small, rectangular pieces of glassine paper, a special semi-transparent paper that is moderately resistant to air and moisture. The hinges usually have gum on one side that allows collectors to mount stamps on album pages. When the hinges are dry, it is possible to remove the stamp, leaving only a small trace of the hinge. An "unhinged" stamp has no traces of a hinge but may not have the original gum either, while a "never hinged" or "NH" stamp has never had a hinge affixed to it and usually still has the original gum.
What Are Stamp Blocks?
Stamp blocks are groups of stamps joined along perforated edges. Most commonly, a block comprises four stamps in a rectangular or square formation, although different configurations are available, including those with more stamps. Some blocks still have the gutter affixed, which is a small piece of selvedge that may contain a plate number. Blocks with gutters are very desirable as collectibles.