Men's Cowboy Hats
The cowboy hat is a fashion accessory borrowed by Western Americans from 19th century Mexican fashion. They are popular as fashion pieces as well as for function for people who work on ranches, rodeos, or who sing country music. This style of hat is noted for its wide brim, high crown, and crease styles.
What are men's cowboy hats made from?
- Felted wool - Felted wool from a sheep or synthetic felt may be used to create a cowboy accessory. It may be off-white, tan, brown, or black in color.
- Straw - Straw is a lightweight hat for a cowboy and is often used in warm and hot environments.
- Leather - Brown or black leather from a horse, beaver, or cow hide may be used in the construction of a cowboy hat.
- Suede - Chestnut or black suede are commonly used to make a hat for a cowboy or cattleman.
- Fur - The fur of a horse or a beaver may be used in the construction of a cowboy hat for a cattleman. Fur may also be used to line the inside of a leather, suede, or wool hat for added warmth. The fur is usually left as its natural color.
What are the decorative options for cowboy hats?
The basic style of a wool, fur, or straw cowboy hat is a wide brim, tall crown, and inner sweatband. The styles of Western hats available are almost the same as the original designed by Stetson in 1865. Specific design options for a Stetson Western hat include:
- Decorative hat band - A wool Stetson cowboy hat often has a decorative hat band on the outside of the crown where it touches the brim.
- Stampede strings - A wool or straw cowboy hat may have Western stampede strings to keep the hat on the cowboy when his horse is running fast during a stampede.
- Memorial bow - A small memorial bow on the inside of the crown is attached in remembrance of the early makers of Western wool cowboy hats who treated the wool with toxic mercury. This lead to the expression mad hatters.
- Buckles and buttons A decorative Western button or buckle may be attached to the left side of the crown where it meets the brim of a wool or straw cowboy hat.
- Dent - A crease in a Stetson cowboy hat makes it easier to remove or don the hat without touching the brim. The dent in a Western hat runs along the hat's length, and one smaller, more rounded dent is found on the left and right sides of the Western hat.
What size of cowboy hat do you need?
It is important to get the right size of straw or woolen cowboy hat. Sizes of these hats come in 1/8-inch increments. Use a cloth measuring tape and wrap it around your head two fingertip lengths above your eyebrow, which is where the hat should rest on your head. The measurement in inches is the size you need.