A Quick Intro to Mamiya Medium-Format Film Cameras
While achieving the perfect shot with a film camera takes a little more effort compared to snapping a photo with a smartphone, the results are often more gratifying. The Mamiya 7 camera is a medium-format rangefinder camera equipped with many versatile features. You can find a wide selection of new and pre-owned Mamiya cameras on eBay for reasonable prices.What is a rangefinder camera?
The Mamiya 7 is a rangefinder camera, which means that it has a range-finding focusing mechanism. This mechanism provides photographers with a precise view of the subject at the moment of exposure. Because of this unobstructed view, rangefinder models are often used by photojournalists and travel photographers who need fast-acting cameras.What features does the Mamiya 7 have?
Mamiya 7 cameras are equipped with features such as:
- Unique rangefinder design: These Mamiya cameras come with a fully coupled rangefinder. Frame lines are parallax corrected and auto indexed, which ensures that this mechanism is compatible with multiple lens options.
- 6 by 7 centimeter format: When you take photographs using the 6 by 7 centimeter image format, the resulting negatives are about five times larger than standard 35-millimeter negatives. This means that each image contains more detail. Thanks to the format's aspect ratio, it's easy to expand the images to 8 by 10-inch paper size.
- 35-millimeter adapter: When photographers want to use 35-millimeter film, they can use the Mamiya's 35-millimeter panoramic adapter kit. When this kit is inserted into the Mamiya camera, photographers can achieve highly detailed 24 by 65-millimeter images.
- Metering: Mamiya has equipped all of these cameras with automatic and manual control metering options. The aperture priority automatic exposure readings increase in 1/6 increments, and the manual metering operates via easy-to-adjust LED readouts.
- Shutter speed: These Mamiya cameras are equipped with precise electromagnetic shutters. Photographers can also manually adjust the shutter speed using the shutter speed dial.
There are several lenses compatible with the Mamiya 7 II medium-format camera. They include:
- Ultra wide-angle lens: The 43-millimeter f/4.5 lens offers distortion-free wide-angle images. It's commonly used for landscape and industrial photography.
- 65-millimeter lens: The 65-millimeter f/4 lenses increase depth of field and minimizes distortion.
- Standard 80-millimeter lens: This wide-normal lens is commonly used for portraiture and general photography.
- Telephoto 150-millimeter lens: The Mamiya telephoto lenses are made of low-dispersion glass, which ensures apochromatic performance.