Madewell Women's Totes and Shoppers Bags
When women need a roomy bag for work or school, totes are a useful accessory. These handbags may have simple designs and minimal features, but they're multi-functional and versatile. They're available in a variety of materials and sizes, and some Madewell styles are equipped with extra elements, like pockets and zippers, that make them ideal everyday handbags.What features do tote bags have?
Most tote bags have the same basic style. The body of the bag is rectangular and constructed of two pieces of canvas or leather. Attached to the body are two top handles. Some also have a shoulder strap, providing wearers with two carrying options. Individual styles may have other features as well, including:
- Pockets: Totes and shoppers may have exterior and interior pockets. Interior pockets often have zippers, and they're specifically sized to hold smart phones.
- Detachable straps: Some bags are equipped with detachable straps. A common feature on leather styles, these straps clip onto both sides of the handbag and can be adjusted for size. The clipped closures on the straps and the bag may be made of metal or plastic.
- Drawstrings: Select totes have drawstring closures. When the drawstring is cinched closed, the tote transforms into a bucket bag.
- Zip-top: Some of the brand's shopper styles come with zipper closures.
Totes come in many sizes. Simple canvas styles, which are traditionally longer than they are wide, often measure 16 inches high by 14 inches wide. More complex styles, like those embellished with pockets or constructed out of leather, may have irregular sizes or shapes.What materials are they made of?
There are two materials commonly used to construct women's shopper styles:
- Leather: For tote-style handbags, leather is a common option. The brand Madewell uses semi-vegetable tanned leather with a waxed finish. Because of this treatment process, each bag has a slightly different color and texture.
- Canvas: Canvas is the most common material option. This strong fabric is often woven from cotton, hemp, or flax, and it can be dyed any color or pattern.
Women's shopper handbags are available in a wide range of colors, including:
- Canvas: Canvas styles are available in every imaginable color, like olive, white, navy, pink, mustard, and black.
- Leather: Leather options are also varied, ranging from traditional shades like grey, brown, and black to vibrant hues like burgundy, pink, and green. Some styles are multi-colored; for example, a black leather shopper may have brown straps.
- Patterned: Patterned shopper styles are also available. Usually constructed out of canvas, these options are decorated with stripes, polka dots, flowers, and other imagery.