Choosing a New Gaming Laptop
While there are a ton of different laptops on the market, there are sometimes limited options for passionate gamers who are looking for extraordinary graphics and speed. MSI are the world's number one gaming brand and you can find a large selection of computers for the ultimate gaming experience. While Windows 7 does not come with newer models, you can find models with this Windows operating system.
What Features are Important?
Whether you are a beginner player searching for your first laptop, or a seasoned pro that really takes gaming seriously, there are certain features that you should keep an eye out for when going through the available selection.
- Graphics card: You want good graphics especially for detailed games. The graphics card delivers the images on your display, and as this can be stressful, you need a discrete GPU with its own dedicated memory. You don't need to worry about finding a mobile chip to install as all MSI laptops have superb Nvidia graphics cards preinstalled.
- Screen resolution: Avoid low resolution screens as this will distort your graphics and make gaming frustrating. Always go for 1920 x 1080 or higher as anything less than this will give you muddy graphics. 4K resolution (3840 by 2160) is becoming increasingly popular. You should also think about whether you want a glossy or matte screen.
- Size: A 17 or 18-inch laptop will generally give you more power and allow you to see everything better. However, a smaller 13 or 14-inch laptop is lighter and easier to carry so this will be a personal choice as to what is ideal for you.
Is There Anything Else I Should Be Looking for?
Aside from the above, you should also take the following into consideration:
- Storage: In the past there was only HDD, but now we also have SSD (Solid State Drive) as a contender. While SSD is more expensive than an internal hard drive, it certainly helps to make gaming laptops faster and reduces game load times. Many new laptops already have SSD built-in, but if your factory settings do not include it, you can always add it in yourself.
- Budget: Like with everything, you really get what you pay for when it comes to choosing a new computer. The more you pay, the higher the specifications, but that's not to say that there aren't some really great low-cost options.
- Touch screen: If you've done without a touch screen until now, then you'll probably be ok without one as they can drain your battery faster. It is a nice feature to have so will be a matter of personal preference.
- Keyboard: Different laptops have different layouts, amount of wrist-rest space, and touchpad size. Think about what kind of setup is right for you so that you can have a comfortable laptop experience.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by MSI.