Littlest Pet Shop
Littlest Pet Shop is a line of toys produced by Hasbro and formerly produced by Kenner Products. The toy line is commonly abbreviated as LPS. The toys of each cute little pet are distinguishable by their bright colors, movable parts, and in later generations, magnets attached to their feet and large eyes.What are Littlest Pet Shop toys?
- Littlest Pet Shop toys are miniature plastic models based on real-life animals. The series has featured animals such as dogs, cats, monkeys, falcons, parakeets, lizards, gerbils, rabbits, frogs, skunks, raccoons, whales, penguins, horses, and more.
- Most LPS toys are hard plastic. However, plush animals have also been released.
- A trademark feature of the toys is their ability to perform some kind of action, such as wagging a tail.
- Many of the toys came as part of a playset with included LPS accessories, such as combs or veterinary offices.
- The toys were first released in 1992 by Kenner Products. They continued making the toys until 1996.
- There are five generations of Littlest Pet Shop toys that have been released by Hasbro.
- Generation One was originally released in 2005 and was the first line of toys in the pet franchise produced by Hasbro after they bought and merged with Kenner Products.
- There have been four additional generations: Generation Two, Generation Three, Generation Four, and Generation Five.
- All of the Hasbro-era Pet Shop toys have numbers for collectors to keep track of them. 3,000 different pets have been produced since 2005.
- The Kenner LPS toys have sleek body designs.
- The Hasbro toys were retooled into a new design with larger eyes, larger heads, and smaller bodies. These toys appear more cartoon-like than their predecessors but have more realistic color schemes.
- There are small design differences between the Hasbro generations. For example, Generation Three pets had new molds and a new style for the eyes. Generation Two had different symbols painted on the eyes to represent that particular pet. Generation Four toys were designed to more closely resemble the TV show.
- There have been two Littlest Pet Shop animated TV shows. The first aired in 1995. The second aired from 2012 to 2016.
- Hasbro has released video games based on the franchise for several console systems, including the Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, PC, and PlayStation 3.
- Some of the toy lines tied into other media. For example, there was a SeaWorld set released in the mid-1990s and sets of Saint Bernard dogs from the Beethoven films in the early 1990s.
- There was also a line of toys included in McDonald's Happy Meals in the mid-1990s. This set included fantasy creatures such as a dragon and a unicorn.