Light Bulbs for Christmas Celebrations
If you're hosting Christmas dinner at your place this year, you should consider getting good lighting. Whether they're hung around the house or wrapped around on trees, a well-thought-out lighting display can amp up your party like nothing else. eBay has a vast selection of light bulbs that you can be used to light up every corner of the house. You can choose from different colors and match them with your holiday-themed decor. Take your pick from the available range of wattage counts and voltages on eBay. If you want to take your Thanksgiving or Christmas celebrations to the outdoors, make sure your garden and porch are well-lit. The brighter the house, the merrier you'll feel.
What are the differences between CFL and LED light bulbs?
With CFL bulbs in the fixture, electric current flows to electrodes on each end of a tube which contains gases. The reaction produces heat and ultraviolet light. Upon striking a phosphorescent lining found on the inside of the tube, the UV light transforms into visible light. LED bulbs pass an electric current through semiconductor material which lights the tiny diodes called LEDs.
What are some different light bulb colors?
- Unlike CFLs, LED bulbs are cool to the touch and the heat emitted is sucked into a heat sink.
- CFLs last up to nine years whereas LED bulbs last for more than 20 years.
- CFLs save up to 75% in yearly energy costs whereas LEDs save up to 86% in yearly energy costs.
Light appearance or light color is measured using the Kelvin(K) temperature scale. The higher the K number, the bluer or whiter the light and the lower the K number, the yellower the light.
What are some of the light bulb shapes?
Incandescent, halogen, and LED bulbs are available in an array of shapes to fit your needs.
- A-shaped light bulbs: These are considered the standard household light bulb shapes, particularly the A19 and the A60. The number indicates the diameter of the bulb in inches, and the letter indicates the shape of the bulb.
- B and C-shaped light bulbs: Also called candelabra bulbs, they have a bulging base that attenuates to a rounded tip. They are common in night lights, wattage applications, and chandeliers.
- PAR-shaped light bulbs: They make use of a parabolic mirror to direct the light. The common ones in this category are the PAR30, PAR38, and PAR20. They come in an array of beam angles and are common in floodlights and spotlights.
What are the different types of bulbs?
- Daylight: Light color ranges from 5000K to 6500K. They are blue and thus perfect for reading.
- Incandescent bulbs: They use a filament that is heated until it glows. The glowing filament lights the bulb.
- Fluorescent bulbs: These contain mercury vapor that gives out UV light when current flows through them.
- Halogen bulbs: These bulbs use the same mechanism as the incandescent bulb whereby a filament is heated until it glows.
- HID bulbs: These bulbs are used in large spaces such as streets, commercial buildings, and warehouses.