Lawn Mowers, Parts, and Accessories
There are an abundance of different kinds of lawn mowers and parts available to help you keep your grass under control.
What are the different types of lawn mowers?
There are various types available, suited to different lawns based on the amount of grass to be mown, the physical capabilities of the user, and the simplicity of the job. Here are some examples:
- Manual: A manual unit has no power, requires no fuel, and very little maintenance. It is simply a cylinder made of sharp blades on wheels with a handle. You push it along the grass, and the wheels rotate the blades to cut the grass as it moves.
- Walk-Behind: A walk-behind mower is one that you physically push around the yard. They have either a gas or electric motor. There are a lot of options among these, including the power source, the size of the cutting path, and the option of being self-propelled which requires less physical exertion to move the mower.
- Riding: A ride-on lawn mower is great for large areas that are too large to mow with a push mower or for those who have physical disabilities that prevent them from pushing a heavy mower. You can also find riding units with a 360-degree turning radius which makes them easy to maneuver around obstacles in the yard such as trees or lawn ornaments.
- Robotic: A robotic mower is useful when you don't have the time nor the desire to mow the lawn yourself. Guided by sensors to avoid obstacles, the robotic mower is able to easily move through large and narrow areas. Many robotic mowers also have a rain sensor, which means they won't mow the lawn if they detect rain.
What kinds of parts are available?
There are various replacement parts available for your mower. Be sure to check that the part or accessory will fit your brand of mower. (ex: Honda, Craftsman, Briggs and Stratton, etc.) Here are some examples of parts and accessories that are available:
- Seat: If you don't like the seat that came installed on your mower, you can find replacement seats. Some of these are more heavily cushioned than the standard options or swivel in place to make it easier to get on and off.
- Carburetor: The carburetor uses air and fuel to be used for combustion in a gas engine.
- Spark plugs: It's always a good idea to keep some spare spark plugs around for quick replacement.