LG USB Wi-Fi Networking Adapters and Dongles
The introduction of the smart TV has enabled people to enjoy a wider range of entertainment options, but these features are only accessible when the TV is connected to the Internet. People who own older LG TV sets and are interested in gaining access to online streaming services, games, social media, and other applications can purchase a USB Wi-Fi dongle that plugs directly into their TV to enable a wireless network connection. The device itself can come in the form of a small USB or a card shaped adapter, which can be easily fitted to any compatible television set.
What Are the Advantages of Wi-Fi Networking Adapters and Dongles?
The main benefit of wireless network adapters is the fact that they do not require the use of a cable. Here are a few ways in which you will benefit from using one:
- Wireless: You do not need to connect an Ethernet cable to your LG TV, as a Wi-Fi adapter or dongle will allow you to receive your wireless broadband network signal. This reduces clutter around yourtelevision and lounge area, and enables you to enjoy fast data transfer speeds.
- Retrofit: Many of LG's early televisions from 2011-2010 did not come with inbuilt Wi-Fi, but they do have USB ports or adapter ports. You should always confirm that the model of USB adapter or dongle you are interested in purchasing is compatible with your television set. This will usually be listed on the packaging.
What Does a Wi-Fi Networking Adapter or Dongle Enable You To Do?
- Smart Apps: Once you have connected to the Internet, you gain access to the full range of LG NetCast smart apps such as Netflix, YouTube, Skype, Picasa, and other music and video streaming services. You can also choose from a wide range of Yahoo TV widgets that display information such as the latest news or weather report.
- Stay Updated: By connecting your TV to the Internet using a LG AN-WF100 or similar networking adapter, you can keep the software up to date. Software updates will automatically be downloaded and installed, which means you will enjoy access to the latest applications and features for your TV over many years.
What is the Difference Between a USB Dongle and an Adapter?
There are a few things to keep in mind when deciding between the USB dongle or adapter option, but both offer the same functionality:
- USB Dongle: This device is much smaller and will be more familiar to most users. It is the same shape as a typical thumb drive, and it will work in any USB 2. 0 port. Many television sets have multiple USB ports to choose from, so this is a good choice for most users.
- Adapter: These are slightly larger and are shaped like a credit card. In order to work, they need to be inserted into the appropriate slot in your TV. It may be a better option for people who are concerned about misplacing the dongle.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by LG.