A kitchen scale is a useful addition to any kitchen where the cook needs to weigh or measure ingredients. Also a practical tool for dieters, a food scale can assist in staying on track with calorie intake. Scales come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and weight capacities to suit a range of user needs.What is a food scale?
A food scale is a piece of kitchen equipment designed for weighing and measuring food items. It is much smaller than a traditional bodyweight scale and can fit on a countertop or in a kitchen drawer or cabinet. These scales are made for weighing relatively small quantities of items.How do you use the digital food scale buttons?
To measure the weight of food items on your digital scale, perform the following steps:
- Press the power button on your kitchen scale.
- When the display reads zero, place the item you wish to weigh on the surface of the scale.
- When the numbers on the display stop changing, the scale has determined an accurate weight for the item.
- If you wish to change the weighing units from grams to milliliters or ounces, simply press the “unit” button on your scale. Only digital scales offer this option though spring scales may offer a gauge with multiple unit types.
Using these scales in your kitchen allows you to measure ingredients more precisely. Many scales offer varying measurement options, making it easy for you to weigh both solid and liquid items. Scales can weigh liquid in milliliters or ounces while solid food can be measured in grams, kilograms, ounces, or pounds.What different types of kitchen scales are available?
There are several types of scales for use in the kitchen. Two widely used scale designs are digital and mechanical.
- Digital scales offer very accurate measurements; they can typically weigh as little as a single gram or milliliter. Because they are digital, these scales require batteries. The digital screen on these scales displays the item weight along with measurement units and can be adjusted to subtract the weight of the dish holding your food. There are many digital options, offering weight capacities up to 30 pounds.
- Mechanical scales, also known as spring scales, work by depressing a spring that lies beneath the measuring surface. These scales display less precise weight readings than electronic scales but still offer more accuracy than traditional measuring cups.