Keyless Entry Remotes and Fobs for Hyundai Elantra
Key fobs for Hyundai Elantras are black, thumb-sized transmitters for locking or unlocking the door, opening the trunk, or activating the vehicle's alarm. These three- or four-button devices fit on keychains so vehicle owners don't have to use traditional keys. To prevent thieves from copying a fob's frequency, key fobs for the Hyundai Elantra create and store new codes for activating the vehicle's locks.What are some features of an Elantra keyless entry remote?
Hyundai Elantra key fobs vary in shape, size, button count, and the number of compatible cars. However, most fobs have the same basic features.
- Lock and unlock buttons: Hyundai Elantra key fobs typically have a button for locking the door, another for unlocking it, and a third for opening the trunk.
- Batteries: Remotes for Hyundai Elantras contain lithium-ion batteries that last three to five years. To replace a battery, use a screwdriver to remove the key fob's cover and remove the battery from the battery clip. Next, put in a new battery and snap the cover back into place.
- Panic option: Some keyless entry remotes have a button you can hold down to set off the car alarm. This button is useful for finding your car in a crowded parking lot or deterring potential break-ins.
- Attachable key: Remotes sometimes come with attachable keys so you can still lock your car if the battery dies.
- Key ring clip: A metal clip or gap in the key fob lets you slide the device onto a key ring for safekeeping.
If you have lost your electronic key for your Elantra, consider these factors when buying a replacement:
- Compatibility: Remote keys for cars are usually compatible with a few different versions of the car, so make sure your version is covered before buying. Year, trim package, and engine type are the main differences between versions.
- Versatility: Not every keyless entry remote for the Hyundai Elantra has a panic option, attachable key, or key ring clip, so take these features into account before making a purchase.
Programming a replacement keyless entry remote for your vehicle doesn't require visiting an auto dealer. Simply sit in the driver's seat, close all the doors, and stick your key in the vehicle's ignition. Turn the key to the accessory position and hold down the open button on the device until your car's lights flash. Now you've successfully programmed the remote.